This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

People like to tell me I’m strong. It’s ironic because physically, I can’t lift a can of soda on my own. 

Most people only see me at my absolute best. But at my absolute worst, when my disease is really holding me down, I’ve found a saving grace in music. 

I have spent countless hours in bed recovering from surgeries or illness, where I can’t really move at all. Music has always been the one thing to keep me going. It’s my rock. Music fills my body with energy. As I turn the volume in my headphones past the recommended level, it empowers me. I feel every lyric belted out by the artists I love. 

people with their hands raised during a concert
Pexels

When I’m healthy enough to do so, I love spending time immersed in my “sport.” This is what I lovingly call attending as many concerts as I can. I love when the music is blasting, the lights are flashing, and my lungs are burning as I scream amongst a crowd of crazy fans. The night’s adrenaline rushes through me, and I will carry those waves of excitement with me for weeks afterwards. 

Looking forward to an upcoming concert can get me through a tough week of school, a surgery, or anything else that life throws at me. 

Listening to music, my worries fade and so do the physical barriers I face every day. When I’m just a girl lost in the chords and melodies, my problems don’t seem as looming as they were in the silence before I hit play. 

Hi, I’m Zoe! I am a sophomore at DU studying English and I’m from Colorado Springs, CO. I love reading and writing, listening to music and attending concerts, and hanging out with my family!
Hello! I am one of the Her Campus DU Campus Correspondents! I am majoring in Psychology with minors in Chemistry and Criminology with the hopes of becoming a Forensic Psychologist someday! I joined Her Campus to be able to get my voice out there, as writing is one of my utmost passions. Some of my favorite things include Jesus, my family, and learning new things.