This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

To be honest, I hate studying. I go out of my way to avoid starting any studying. I find that my brain becomes too calm while studying and then, frankly, I get bored. In those moments, I find myself listening to some fast-paced intense songs while studying, simply to keep thoughts of boredom at bay. For me, Lo-Fi Beats is the complete opposite of what I want to listen to while studying. Yet somehow those videos rack up 31 thousand views during their 24-hour stream. For people who are searching for better study music (that is not Lo-Fi) this list is for you! 

We sent out a survey asking what everyone’s favorite study song was, why, and what the vibe of the song was. Below you can find highlights from the survey, showcasing a diverse array of study music! Here is a link to a Spotify playlist with all the songs mentioned by those who took our survey.

“Girl is a Gun” by Halsey

This song comes from Halsey’s new album, produced by Nine Inch Nails. As expected by the previous songs on the album, it is almost an upbeat, intriguing song. Halsey’s voice is layered over a trippy beat and creates an almost intoxicating listen. This song, maybe their album, could create a good study vibe for those who enjoy more fluid, intense beats over the slower vibes of Lo-Fi.

“sunshine” by khai dreams and atwood

“Sunshine” is like skateboarding through suburban streets on a warm summer day. The chorus contains an addicting fast beat that balances out the slow bridges. Sunshine is perfect for those who like slower study songs, but not ones that potentially are boredom-inducing.

“ivy” by frank ocean

Imagine boarding a plane at 2:00 AM and watching the lights get smaller as the flight climbs into the sky. That’s what feelings “Ivy” by Frank Ocean creates. If you’re looking for a calm study vibe, this is the song for you. Especially if you study at night.

“solero” by lorenzo fragola

First and foremost, this song is in Italian- however, it’s a well-known fact that music transcends language barriers. This song is much more upbeat than many of the previous, so it is perfect for those looking for a fun, but not overwhelming listen.

“lady” by brett young

This one is for country music lovers. “Lady” is charming and melodic and, as one user said, “It just hits”. Despite country music not being my personal favorite, this song showcases the best aspects of modern country music. Including a powerful message about being a strong woman to sweet one liners, “Lady” provides a great change of pace. Overall this song is a good study listen for those who are looking to add a little country to their study session.

“a hidden life” by james newton howard

“A Hidden Life” is a 2019 film, this is the film score. James Newton Howard is known for his work on film scores and never disappoints. This song is eerily calming with long violin pieces and dramatic piano. The eeriness of the piece is what sets it apart from Lo-Fi beats. Check out this song if you want a slightly more intense version of Lo-Fi.

“product of fear” by ramleh

The selling point of this list is its diversity, so here’s a song that’s pretty out there. If you’re drawn to dark, ominous music during studying this may be up your alley. It will definitely drown out the sounds of the outside world. There are little to no vocals and the song is seven minutes long. (Author’s note: In all honesty, I can not describe this song, just go listen to it.)

“all your yeahs” by beach house

The airy vocals of Beach House’s Victoria Legrande are perfect for study times. “All Your Yeahs” is slow but keeps listeners interested through a unique beat. This beat highlights the difference between Lo-Fi songs and this new playlist. The best way to describe this song would be a “dream pop” vibe.

“hala hala (hearts awakened live alive)” by ateez

It’s 2021, there has to be a K-Pop song here. ATEEZ is a wild success, especially internationally, originating in South Korea. The performance group is known for its immense stage presence and colorful music. “HALA HALA” is one of their B-Sides and is an intriguing song that builds up to a hard-hitting chorus. Study-wise this song is upbeat, but not overwhelming, allowing for some actual studying to be done.

nature sounds

Who can go wrong with nature sounds? For many, nature sounds are what they fall asleep to at night- and for others, it’s study music. Nature sounds tend to make people at peace and calm, making it an obvious study music choice for many people.

Born and raised in Fairbanks, Alaska. I am extremely passionate about art, literature and design.