This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

The leaves are changing colors, the wind is a little cooler, and the vibes are immaculate. This can only mean one thing- spooky season is officially here! There are many things to love about October, whether that be fall fashion, pumpkin spice lattes, or delicious fall treats, but the one thing that really gets me in the mood for this time of the year is watching scary movies and shows. So, in honor of spooky season, here are the top six shows that will have you on the edge of your seat.

squid game

At this point, if you haven’t watched Squid Game, the people around you have probably recommended it to you numerous times. This Korean horror/drama series is one of Netflix’s biggest hits, but if that isn’t enough for to get you to watch it, then maybe the plot of the series will convince you. Squid Game is a gore-filled survival show where cash-strapped citizens fight for their lives while playing children’s games. Needless to say, the unique premise of the show is what draws in the audience, but it’s the characters that make you want to watch the end.

Spooky Rating: 4/10

haunting of hill house

This series happened to be another one of Netflix’s biggest hits back in 2018, but regardless, if you’ve already watched it, this is one of those series that never gets old. In short, The Haunting of Hill House is a supernatural-horror miniseries that alternates between two distinct timelines. Without giving too much away, the show follows five adult siblings whose past paranormal experiences at Hill House continue to haunt them in present day. This show is perfect for you if you hate the cheesiness of jump scares (although there are a few good ones in there) and, more so appreciate the true horror genre.

Spooky Rating: 8/10

midnight mass

When I say that I could not stop thinking about this show FOR DAYS after I finished it, I really, really mean it. If you were a fan of The Haunting of Hill House, then this show will also be a hit for you. Not only does this show have an amazing, gripping storyline, but it has extremely well developed and nuanced characters that you wouldn’t see anywhere else. This is a slow-burning mystery that features a small town on an isolated island. This town is made of Christians who experience supernatural events after the arrival of a new priest. Midnight Mass is made up of gut-wrenching monologues and insane visuals, but it also features extremely well thought-out themes as well.

Spooky Rating: 7/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-XIRcjf3l4
locke and key

This series came out in 2020, and ever since I binged the first season, I have been not-so-patiently waiting for the second season (and it comes out so soon). The premise of the show is as follows: after Rendell Locke is murdered by a former student, his wife and three children move to Matheson, Massachusetts and take up residence in Rendell’s family home. The children discover a number of mysterious keys that are used to unlock various doors in magical ways. Of course, in any good supernatural horror, there will also always be the demonic entity. In this case, the demon wants you to use the keys for their malevolent purposes. If magic and demons aren’t enough to pull you in, the setting in which this series takes place definitely will.

Spooky Rating: 4/10

you

If you haven’t seen the Netflix hit show You, you are definitely missing out! If you are a fan of the show Dexter, then this show will be right up your alley. This show follows Joe Goldberg, a typical, average, run of the mill bookstore manager in New York. He soon meets Guinivere Beck, an aspiring writer, and becomes infatuated with her. Soon enough, you realized that Joe can be classified as literally anything other than typical and average. Some might even say he has psychopathic tendencies, but you won’t know until you watch it! I promise, you’ll be enthralled and on the edge of your seat every single episode.

Spooky Rating: 6/10

American horror story

I’m not lying when I say that I saved the best for last. At this point, American Horror Story could be considered a classic when discussing the best horror movies and shows. It is an anthologu series, where each season is considered a mini-series, following a different set of characters, often played by the same beloved actors from the previous seasons. Although my favorite season would have to be the OG season 1, all of the seasons have blood-curdling, sometimes horrifically revolting elements that’ll have you on the edge of your seat.

Spooky Rating: 10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KZr2Vn7CQ
Sameha is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus @ DU. She is currently pursuing her BA in Political Science and Sociology with a minor in biology. If she is not binging the latest Netflix show, you can find her trying to get through her TBR pile :)