HCDU Women Org Highlight x Society of Women Engineers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

1. What is the purpose/mission of your organization?

Empower women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders, expand the image of the engineering and technology professions as a positive force in improving the quality of life, and demonstrate the value of diversity and inclusion.

2. How does your organization support  women?

SWE supports women by hosting events where we can network, learn important skills, and join a community of support. Our meetings include LinkedIn workshops, career panels with companies like Lockheed Martin and government jobs, a workshop with the patent office, and an Interview workshop. We also had a mentorship program where a group of women from industry were matched with college students. We did a round of speed meeting and then paired people. After that it was up to the pairs to meet up once a month. We also helped with a collegiate mentorship program that our faculty advisor, Dr. Rozselle, set up. Two or three women engineering college students were matched with a group of freshmen women in engineering to answer their questions and help them make their way.

A panel with industry professionals in 2018.

We also had a company visit with Sphero last spring to take engineers to see the company’s great work in boulder and talk with employees.

We support women by sending them to local and national conferences with the help of the Engineering school. We have had women attend the local SWE Conference in Denver last year and the National Conference in California. It is a place to network with college through professionals. There are many inspiring talks and a large career fair.

SWE National Conference November 2019 in California.

We also support of different ages. We have volunteered with chicktech on campus and created our own event for middle school girls called Girls with Gadgets. Girls with Gadgets takes place in the spring were we invite middle schoolers from around the Denver area to partake in learning more about engineering. We have 4 workshops that reflect mechanical, electrical, computer, and industrial engineering. We hope to teach them that this field is for everyone and get them excited and interested in STEM.

Senior Jonathan Lussier showing young girls how to solder at the electrical station at Girls with Gadgets.

3. What goals/values does your organization hold?

The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is working to create a community to support DU students in all fields of engineering, and to promote engineering in the greater community.  We strive to focus on inclusion and diversity through our activities.

4. What is the best part(s) about your student org?

“So many great things that it’s hard just to pick one! My personal favorite was all the amazing people that came together to make Girls with Gadgets happen. It was so rewarding to see all the middle schoolers excited about engineering. When their parents picked them up at the end of the day, they showed off all the things they made and the new skills they learned. Senior Weldyn Allen was the mastermind behind the event.” -Molly Kuettel

Senior Sarah Gibb volunteering with young girls in the mousetrap car mechanical station at Girls with Gadgets.

5. When does your organization typically meet? How would an interested member go about applying to the org?

The Society of Women Engineers meets at a minimum of two times per quarter. Girls with Gadgets is held at the beginning of Spring quarter.

To get involved you can email the universityofdenverswe@gmail.com 

Follow them on Instagram @denverswe or on Facebook @Society of Women Engineers at DU

6. What are the main events your organization holds during the school year?

Girls with Gadgets – check out our an article recapping the event here!

Girls with Gadgets 2019