Grace Kelley ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

When most people hear the name “Grace Kelly” they think of the beloved American princess. But when I hear that name, I think of DU’s own Grace Kelley- an incredible triathlete preparing for her first Half Iron Man.

Grace is a Cleveland native who made her way to DU last fall and is now graduating with a B.S. in Biology and Psychology this quarter. She found herself in Denver for a summer internship and fell in love with Colorado. That summer she decided to finish her undergrad as a Pioneer (and we are so happy she did!).

When Grace isn’t studying, she is either enjoying the beautiful Colorado outdoors or training for the upcoming Half Iron Man that she will be competing in this June… a process that is time consuming, challenging, and incredibly rewarding. Grace trains on a strict schedule of bike, swim, and cardio strengthening. Each week, she dedicates two days to biking, two days to swimming, and two days to running. Even on her rest days she is constantly active and moving whether she is at her part-time job, hiking, or exploring this beautiful state of ours. A traveler at heart, she is always seeking a new adventure. 

This past summer, Grace participated in a weekly race series in Boulder. Every Thursday, she would complete a race composed of a mile long swim and a 5k run. Based on a point system, participants competed against each other throughout the race series. In the end, Grace came out on top and finished in first place overall.

She hasn’t always been a dedicated triathlete. In fact, this adventure only began last spring. Since then, in addition to the Boulder series, she has competed in three full triathalons. When asked what inspired her to take on this challenge, she immediately referenced her parents. Both of her parents are incredible athletes and have been Grace’s greatest support. In 2000, her father was first in his age group in the world championship for the Olympic Distance and continues to push himself and Grace towards success. Those are some big shoes to fill, but Grace has no plans on stopping any time soon and will surely continue collecting titles of her own.

The Half Iron Man approaching this June will be both physically and mentally challenging for Grace, but she is ready for the 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run. To prepare she will continue her regular training regime and eventually alternate to a two-a-day schedule. In the mean time, she will participate in at least one half marathon and will continue to participate in other races and events to keep her moving.

Other than a Half Iron Man, what else can we expect from Grace as a DU alumna? According to her, “it’s a surprise.”

Alicia is a recent graduate from the University of Denver where she earned her degree in Economics and Gender & Women's Studies. She can always be found with a cup of coffee in her hand and is likely to be caught singing 90s R&B throughout the day. Now exploring her next steps in life, she is taking fashion courses at the Parsons New School of Design and planning out her graduate school and career moves. She is inspired by the writings of Roxanne Gay, the style of Alexa Chung, and the lifestyle of Grace Coddington.