Every Day With My Mom Is Better Than the Last

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

This may be biased, but my mom is the best. 

I know you’re thinking that a lot of people can say that about their mom, but it’s true for me. We have a unique relationship that most mothers and daughters don’t have, and it’s incredible. 

When my disease makes it too difficult for me to do basic things like feeding myself or brushing my hair, she takes care of me. As a result of the quarantine, she is my only caregiver right now and helps me with everything I could possibly need. For most people, that would be a little too much mother-daughter bonding, but for us it’s different. We always have something new to talk about, and she’s the only person in the world I’m 100 percent honest with.

We finish each other’s sentences – and as annoying as that sounds, we always laugh it off. She can sense when something’s bugging me by something as simple as the way I breathe. It’s a little weird, but she’s always right! 

Photo of a "Love" sign
Rebecca Karlous

My dad was deployed most of my childhood, and he didn’t retire from the Army until I was in the tenth grade. Most of the time, it was just my mom, the dog, and I. She always knew how to make me feel better. When life really sucks, she admits that it does but helps me move on. 

She taught me how to take care of myself and that it’s okay to put yourself first sometimes. She taught me not to overfill my plate (although, I’m still working on it) and the value in taking a moment to watch cheesy TV and eat junk food. 

I don’t have a favorite memory of my mom because every day has a new highlight that is outshined by the next. My mom is an incredible woman. I hope when I grow up that I can be somewhat close to the person she is.

Hi, I’m Zoe! I am a sophomore at DU studying English and I’m from Colorado Springs, CO. I love reading and writing, listening to music and attending concerts, and hanging out with my family!
Hello! I am one of the Her Campus DU Campus Correspondents! I am majoring in Psychology with minors in Chemistry and Criminology with the hopes of becoming a Forensic Psychologist someday! I joined Her Campus to be able to get my voice out there, as writing is one of my utmost passions. Some of my favorite things include Jesus, my family, and learning new things.