Creative Connoisseur Hunter Saillen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Her Campus had the privilege of sitting down with DU’s jack-of-all-trades junior, Hunter Saillen. From creating his own major and starting a new club on campus, to launching a personal clothing line, Hunter caught our eye for this week’s Campus Celebrity.

Her Campus: What is your major?

Hunter Saillen: It’s an ISM (Individually Structured Major): Music Industry.

HC: So you created this on your own—what kind of classes do you take?

HS:  Yeah. I take some classes in Lamont, Daniels, and EDP (Emerging Digital Practices).

HC: This year you started the club DU Music Culture. What’s the club about? What do you guys do?

HS: So DU Music Culture is a clan of DU students who love all types of music. It’s basically musicians trying to find other musicians and finding friends who want to go to shows together. We also do fundraising for underprivileged youth music programs.

HC: What made you want to start the club?

HS: I just recognized the need for it. We’ve already got 260 members. A long-term goal for us is to have a DU music festival on campus. It would have art shows, food, music.

HC: That’d be fantastic. What kind of shows does DU Music Culture go to?

HS: Whatever shows or concerts people are interested in. You have to buy your own ticket, but we have a deal with nightclubs like Cervantes and Soda Jerk where we can buy tickets in bulk for cheaper. We also just landed a deal the SoCo Nightlife District, which has venues like The Church, Club Vinyl, and City Hall. We had our first event with Cervantes already. It was cool; there were two stages and a silent disco.

HC: What types of music do you listen to?

HS: I listen to a lot of rap, I like Kanye, Vince Staples, or Danny Brown. I also like EDM—Dillion Francis and Ghastly. And I like indie, like Mac Damarco, Tame Impala, and Front Bottoms.

HC: With all this interest in music, what are some of your future goals?

HS: Potentially to start my own record label. Or maybe even manage some artists. I am also thinking about going into copyright law.

HC: Tell me about the clothing line you just started up.

HS: Yeah so it’s called ElseWear. It’s all about being different and getting off the beaten path, you know, doing things your own way. It’s invaluable to get lost.

HC: How does that come through in the clothing?

HS: ElseWear is about thinking differently—mentally, physically, and spiritually and that comes through in the designs.

HC: Do you design everything yourself?

HS: Yeah. I either draw up the designs or choose the prints that go on the fabric.

HC: What kinds of clothes does ElseWear make?

HS: We’ve got shirts, tanks, hoodies, zip ups, long-sleeved shirts, backpacks, hats—beanie and bucket—pants, jeans, and fleece joggers. A lot of different stuff. I’ll be selling it around campus in the upcoming weeks, so keep an eye out for pop-up shops.

HC: Most definitely. I’m curious, how did you come up with the name ElseWear?=

HS: I was in French class and we were learning the concept of “d’ailleurs” which translates to “elsewhere.” That sparked an idea for me and I was like, I’m gonna make a brand out of this.

HC: Alright final question, what do you do in your free time?—if you have any.

HS: I like to DJ—and I have a couple of radio shows on KXDU. One is on Thursdays at 8pm, it’s like upbeat, electronic rap, and the other is on Sundays at 7pm, it’s more indie and laid back.

Collegiates! Follow Hunter as well as DU Music Culture on Facebook, and be sure to check out ElseWear when it hits campus in the next few weeks! 

I'm from Westchester, New York and am a junior at the University of Denver. Currently I'm a media studies major and a double minor in fine arts and communications. When I'm not busy writing papers, avoiding math or at a sorority event I can be found in the mountains or watching movies. One day I will probably be making indie films and hanging out on the ski slopes. My Pro Tip: Do what you love, love what you do.