This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

October is here which means temperatures are about to drop. But have no fear, we’re here to tell you exactly which pieces you need to add to your wardrobe to stay warm and effortlessly fashionable this fall!

1. Motorcycle Jacket

Fall fashion is all about layers and a motorcycle jacket does just the trick. It’s light but extra warm and adds a really cool edge to any outfit. Pair it with a floral dress for a cool but girly look, or add some lipstick and a graphic tee for an edgier feel.

2. Plaid Shirt

This is another great option for layering. A classic plaid shirt can be worn alone with skinny jeans, tied around the waist with a plain tee, or layered underneath a cable knit sweater for extra warmth. You can even tuck it into a pencil skirt for a cozier work outfit.

3. Blanket Scarf

Blanket scarves are extra large scarves that typically come in a square rather than rectangular shape, and they’re all the rage right now. The extra fabric will keep you cozy on the cooler days and it can also double as a blanket if you’re traveling on an airplane.

4. Hunter Boots (or any other rain boot!)

Rain boots for fall? You might think I’m crazy but with a cozy pair of socks these boots can double as your snow boots and are ridiculously cute. Not to mention, you don’t have to worry about the snow ruining your riding boots.

5. Ankle Boots

Yes, they’re still in and you need a pair.

6. Utility Jacket

Another jacket, you ask? Yes! A utility jacket is a great alternative to a motorcycle jacket. It’s a little bit lighter, and possibly a little bit more versatile. It also looks great paired with plaid.

7. Cable Knit Sweater

Oversized and cropped versions of this comfy sweater will be super versatile and unbelievably cozy when the weather starts to get colder. Hint: you can pair it with any other item on this list!

8. Chunky Cardigan

Pick a neutral color and throw it over anything and everything for an effortlessly layered and warm look.

I am a senior at the University of Denver studying English and Economics. I love watching football, wine nights with my best friends, traveling, exploring my city, and I can't start my day without a cup of coffee. Follow me on instagram @lexihoffman12