This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

1. Salsa means “sauce” in Spanish. I guess, in hindsight, I should have realized that salsa is in fact a sauce. It’s a delicious, slightly spicy, refreshing, sauce. Best enjoyed with tortilla chips or on a taco. But, in Spain, “salsa” can be used to refer to any sauce. This knowledge would have saved me from trying “salsa negra” (AKA squid ink). #Blessed that we differentiate these two vastly different things in English.

2. It’s okay to gain weight abroad. I think I had to write that out so I would start to believe it, but it IS true! Studying abroad is temporary, and you should enjoy it! When I wasn’t traveling, I spent a lot of time working out instead of hanging out with my friends. However, I still gained weight! I couldn’t fight it. Something about the amount of salt and olive oil used in European foods, or perhaps the amount of red meat my host mom cooked (I might have a heart attack), or maybe even the weird meal times really did me over. In the end, I’m glad I stayed active this semester, but it’s important to balance a normal lifestyle with the extended vacation lifestyle. It’s okay to try the local pastry shop (especially when they give discounts on Tuesdays). It’s also okay to skip the gym for an after class beach trip! The treadmill will be there when you return to the States. And, luckily, I have baggy winter sweaters to hide behind until spring quarter.

3. Waste not, want not. When I was a kid, my German grandma said this a lot. I did not really understand how wasteful I am with tiny things in the United States. Being abroad has taught me the importance of little things I can do to conserve: short showers, turning off the lights (even if you are just going to the bathroom), as well as using every piece of food. I think the last thing will be the hardest to take back to Denver because it is hard to grocery shop for one person, but I will definitely only buy what I need. I also have a newfound love for public transportation, which is FREE for DU students thanks to the College Pass ID.

4. Sometimes, you hit a moment of needing your comfort zone. But, fear not DU. Karaoke does exist abroad, at least in Europe. So, when you’re missing Wednesdays @ Ceeg, bring out your friends and hit the local karaoke bar. Bonus points if you sing songs in a different language (think: El Taxi ft. Pit Bull).

5. There is value to living both the local culture, as well as being a tourist. When I came abroad, I realized that a lot of what I knew about Spain turned out to be generalized, stereotyped, or downright false. I’m mainly talking about siestas. But as the famous Spanish artist Pablo Picasso once said, “Everything you can imagine is real.” So the lesson here is that you can live the cliché abroad experience of your dreams and take that siesta. Or, you can acclimate to the true local culture. This choice can be the difference between remaking the scooter scene from the Lizzie McGuire Movie and staying out at the club so late that the metro has reopened for the morning. You can’t lose with either lifestyle abroad, but be prepared to have different takeaways.

6. It’s okay to feel helpless. For me, this feeling surfaced throughout my homestay the most. My host mom cooked for me, cleaned for me, and even told me when it was too cold to wear sandals. The tip of the iceberg occurred when she cleaned and reorganized my closet, even removing some of my personal belongings. I felt even more helpless because I couldn’t explain my feelings about being “babied” to her in Spanish! It was like being a toddler again and being told to “use your words,” but not knowing enough words to explain yourself. However, feeling like a child made me appreciate the “adult” aspects of my life. (Yes, I even appreciate paying my energy bill from abroad, chyeahh.) My helplessness also motivated me to better my communication skills in Spanish.

7. Wine is better than ______. Peanut butter. Gingers. Nordstrom. Feel free to fill in the blank with your own American vice, I’m sure the statement will hold true. 

As my study abroad experience wraps up, I realize I did not have that one “aha!” moment I was hoping for. However, I did takeaway (a lot more than) 7 tiny things. I learned a lot of silly things through trial and error, I learned a lot of useful things (Spanish curse words), and I learned a lot of things about myself. I think if we all shared at least 7 tiny things from abroad, we can help create a more globally aware society. Or, at the very least, we might realize that we all like wine. 

Amanda Christensen is a current student at DU, studying marketing. She enjoys telling lame jokes, watching snapchat stories, and advocating for the taco emoji. She also likes that weird black licorice your grandma probably eats.