mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Sustainable Restaurants in Denver

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

With Earth Day approaching and talks of global warming being snuck into daily conversations, I have been feeling the need to find simple ways to help the planet and the city I live in. A great way to do this is to support sustainable restaurants, that not only shop locally, but go above and beyond to help the environment on a daily basis.

Root Down 

Located in downtown Denver on 33rd Avenue, Root Down is a quirky ‘New American’ restaurant with a diverse menu and a unique atmosphere. Root Down takes pride in practicing sustainability on a daily basis. According to their website, Root Down partners with local suppliers around the Denver area, the restaurant is 100% powered by wind energy, and 75% of Root Down was built and finished with reclaimed, reused, and recycled materials. Check out their website to learn more!

Stoney’s Bar and Grill

A sport’s bar in Downtown Denver Capitol Hill, Stoney’s is a great place to watch your favorite sports team play. Stoney’s is certifiably green and does its very best to be environmentally responsible. On their website, Stoney’s list their ‘Green Practices’ which include, recycling, composting, using all high-efficiency LED lightbulbs, and using post-consumer recycled paper products. Check out their website to learn more!

True Food Kitchen

This restaurant is well-known for its healthy options and emphasis on good quality food and ingredients. True Food’s menu is seasonal and their ingredients are locally sourced. The founder believes “that food should make you feel better, not worse”. Check out their website to learn more!

Aloy Modern Thai 

Opened in 2016, Aloy Modern Thai is owned by two sisters who immigrated to the United States from Bangkok in 2006. They work with local farmers and ranchers in order to bring healthy and sustainable choices to Denver. They also strive to help sustain community in Denver by participating and supporting organizations such as Colorado Les Dames D’Escoffier’s scholarship program and Slow Food Denver’s school Seed to Table Program. Check out their website to learn more! 

Snooze

A popular breakfast destination when in Denver, Snooze not only sells tasty pancakes, but they practice sustainability in multiple ways. Snooze recycles and composts 90% of their waste, they focus on resource conservation, and use responsible materials. Their volunteers and staff members can be found maintaining school gardens, volunteering at food banks, and cleaning up beaches. Check out their website to learn more!

By no means are these the only sustainable restaurants in Denver. If you check out the Certifiably Green Denver Business Directory, you can see what other restaurants, art galleries, cleaning services, etc… you should be supporting. Happy Earth Day! 

https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/environmental-health/envi…

I am a Senior at the University of Denver studying Communication Studies, Marketing, and Writing Practices. I love photography, exercise, reading, and trying new foods. I am currently one of the CC's here at HCDU.