The 5 Stages of Grief: Handling Parents Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

First of all, let’s just take a minute to be thankful that Parents Weekend isn’t over Halloween Weekend again this year (nice try DU). However, these three days can seem just as scary as if they did fall on the holiday, and what better way to tackle this fear than to explore the 5 stages students go through during good old ‘rents weekend. 

1. The Avoidance Stage – This stage consists of the continuous side glances away from the “Parents Weekend” banners around campus and the constant self-reassurance that you still have a solid two weeks before the fam arrives. You go to class, do your homework, and continue on with your daily life, still thinking that you’re steady ridin’ those two weeks, but “the day” hits you so fast that it practically launches you into stage two.

2. The Panic Stage – This stage consists of the “Oh my god I thought this was a joke what are my parents doing here now they know where I skip class and drink wait do they know I skip class and drink??” You wipe down your bathroom sink with a wet paper towel and maybe even throw on a clean shirt and pray that you make it through the weekend without letting your family meet some of the people you hang out with.

3. The Acceptance Stage – You’ve calmed down a little bit at this point, noticing that your mom didn’t call you out for the dirty dishes in the sink and that your younger brother still thinks you’re just as much of a loser as you were before college. You’re able to laugh with your dad about his university days and maybe even admit to yourself that you’re actually kinda sorta maybe a little glad that your family came out for the weekend.

4. The Happiness Stage – This is the “wow I love my parents” stage. Your fridge is stocked, your wallet is full, and you were able to eat a grand total of three above-par meals before having to come to terms with surviving the rest of the year off dining hall food and frozen pizzas. You realize that you can scrub that bathroom sink all you want but it will never be as clean as when your mom did it. 

5. The Relief Stage – This is also known as the “bittersweet stage”; you’re sad because your family’s leaving but also a little relieved that they never did meet those people you hang out with. Now you can go back to walking around in your underwear and leaving beer cans on the coffee table. Hallelujah. 

My name is Ellie Fazzi and I'm a first year Media Studies major with a minor in Rhetoric and Professional Writing. My favorite things include writing, singing, and hockey...oh and I love food...so by default, I love the gym. xoxo