This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Is your dorm room getting a little stingy lately? Is your roommate up all night loudly having tea parties with her cats? Are you out of toilet paper? If you can give an affirmative answer to any of these questions, or just feel like finding a new place to study—I can help you out. Finals are swiftly approaching and finding the best place to study doesn’t need to be an added stressor. Sometimes a change in scenery is all we need to buckle down and crank out that 15-page research paper on why Winston Churchill preferred boxers to briefs. As far as literal scenery goes I don’t think any of us are complaining, but as the temperature undoubtedly darts below freezing, it becomes a little difficult to swap the Rockies for the library.

I recently braved the elements to scope out three popular coffee destinations near campus and uncover alternative places to study. The first was Kaladi.

For those who don’t know, Kaladi Coffee is located near the corner of Evans and Gilpin right next to Jellys. Past the intriguing entrance is a charming interior and an array of fantastic coffee-options. If you’re near Evans and looking for a place to sit and study, Kaladi is your best bet. While some of the tables are rather small, there is an adequate amount of seating and I’ve never had an issue finding a table during the early morning or afternoon. Local art (all for sale!) lines the walls, aiding the generally lively—yet not overwhelmingly loud—atmosphere. I recommend making conversation with the always-friendly cashier while ordering a medium Venetian Crème and zucchini bread.

Next I made my way to Pearl Street—a little further from campus but worth the trouble. Pearl Street is overflowing with cafés to choose from, but I sought after the best two, the first one being Steam Espresso Bar.

Steam is located at 1801 Pearl Street, not terribly far down the road after turning off of Evans. It’s quite the quaint café, easy to pass by but equally as unfortunate to do so—especially if you don’t hate all things delicious or have an aggressive aversion to the best Chai latte in Denver. 

Steam offers solitary places to study both inside and outside, as well as a more social section to chat and take a study break. If you are planning on staying a while, I do recommend bringing a snack because Steam does offer little to eat aside from a scant (but tasty) assortment of cakes.

My last stop was further down Pearl Street.  I made my way to Stella’s Coffee House last Thursday evening, arriving just as the sun went down. Initially I was worried about the store closing soon, but to my delight found that Stella’s is open until 11 p.m. on weekdays and until midnight on Friday/Saturday.

Of the three coffee shops, Stella’s is my favorite. What appears to be a small coffee house is actually quite large, offering many, MANY tables and nooks to sit and study—and this is just on the inside. The front patio is well lit with mollifying lamps and twinkly lights and well adorned with outdoor heaters. The music is never too loud and there are always at least a few dogs to contemplate kidnapping as they patiently wait for their owners outside. Be warned, though, Stella’s smalls are SMALL. My sage words are to buy a large-sized drink and choose a few items from the variety of enticing candies and baked goods.  Wander around Stella’s a bit; don’t just go for the first table you see. There is many-a-spot-to-study around the café, and some of the best are tucked away.