10 Instagrams to Boost Your Body Positivity

It seems as though every other day, I see yet another celebrity or influencer pushing their followers to buy flat-tummy tea with their special discount or encouraging their followers to go on cleanses. Those celebrities usually don’t look the way they do because of flat-tummy tea and cleanses, but because of an entire lifestyle that gives them the privilege of looking picture-perfect all the time. No one called it out better than Jameela Jamil, an actress who went after Khloé Kardashian on one-such post, saying “[their] pockets are lined with the blood and diarrhea of teenage girls.”

These harmful posts always break my heart, so to combat that, I’ve put together a list of body positive Instagram account geared towards being genuinely healthy, happy, and unapologetic of your body. I recommend cleansing yourself... of all the harmful blogs, NOT of what you put in your body.

Also, a bonus—one of my Her Campus DU sisters, April, wrote about a friend of hers named Serena Nangia who is a body positivity activist. She’s also on Instagram, check her out when you’re done reading April’s post. ;)

1. 1. Jameela Jamil (@jameelajamilofficial)

Of course, we're kicking off with the queen herself, Jameela Jamil. Jamil is mostly known for her role as Tahani al-Jamil on the hit TV show The Good Place. She's becoming increasingly well known for her body positivity advocacy. She isn't afraid to call out other celebs, and she's started a movement called I WEIGH to foster a positive and supportive community.

2. 3. The Every Man Project (@theeverymanproject)

Body positivity goes beyond the bounds of gender! The Every Man Project showcases male-identifying individuals of all body types, celebrating men of all shapes and sizes. On their website, founder Tarik Carroll talks about growing up and feeling like an outcast because of their body type. Striving for perfection affects everyone of every gender, so Carroll started The Every Man Project!

3. 4. Danielle Perez (@divadelux)

Danielle Perez is a stand-up comedian who, according to her about page, once won a treadmill on The Price is Right despite having no feet. Her feed celebrates bringing inclusivity to comedy and shutting down ableist ideology.

4. 5. Body Positive Memes, Michelle Elman (@bodypositivememes)

Michelle Elman runs Body Positive Memes, an account you're definitely going to want to re-gram to your story. She re-posts #relatable memes, and changes body negative memes into body positive ones. Her personal account is pretty fab too, not to mention she's a TEDx speaker, podcaster, and author.

5. 6. Amalie Lee (@amalielee)

Amalie Lee is on the same podcast as Michelle Elman, and on her Instagram she's honest about dealing with Eating Disorders (specifically, Anorexia) and Mental Health. She's open about her own experiences and strives to promote positivity in all of her posts.

6. 7. Erin Clark (@erinunleashes)

If you want to live vicariously through an adventurous Instagrammer and/or if you love being outdoorsy, Erin Clark is the feed you should follow. Paragliding, skiing, traveling through Kenya and Namibia, those are only the most recent adventures Erin has gone on, all on her wheelchair. Definitely check out this firecracker of a "sex icon" on your Instagram search. Oh, also, she pole dances and blogs about it.

7. 8. Kelvin Davis (@notoriouslydapper)

Another excellent example of male body positivity. Kelvin Davis definitely lives up to his screen name, Notoriously Dapper. The plus-sized male model has the "BEST SMILE ON INSTAGRAM" according to his bio, and one quick scroll through his incredibly fashionable and charming smile convinces you that he's probably right. Davis rocks the latest in menswear, all while reminding everyone that all bodies are good bodies, men included.

8. 9. Winnie Harlow (@winnieharlow)

Winnie Harlow is known worldwide for representing the skin condition, vitiligo, through her modeling career. Her Instagram feed can be summed up in one word: glamorous. Alongside being a supermodel, she prides herself in being an educator for her skin condition, and rightfully so. Check out one of the best posts on the subject here.

9. 10. Sara Geurts (@sarageurts)

Sara Geurts is another model, repping body positivity and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. Her feed gives me beachy vibes and she's always putting a positive spin on things. I was shocked to find out the 28-year-old model is usually unpaid for her work, but she still does it to raise awareness for EDS. Her partner is her fabulous photographer - check out Bri Berglund's feed too because they are super cute together. Currently, her and her family are raising money for some of her medical expenses. I highly recommend sending a couple of dollars to her GoFundMe if you can!

Bodies come in all shapes, sizes, and conditions, and all of them should be celebrated. At the end of the day, our bodies give us life. No matter what your life is like, you deserve to have a feed that uplifts you and reminds you that the world is beautiful. Also if you want to follow me on Instagram, go for it. ;)