Why I Love Halal Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Trying new things is encouraged when you go off to college and I did just that. When I visited Drexel last February, I was fascinated by the number of halal food carts that lined the campus and attracted students with their neon marquees and delicious smell. Upon returning in September, I passed the carts on my way to class and always wondered what halal food was. Inspired to step out of my comfort zone, I decided to try it one day and since then, I’ve been hooked.

The very first time that I tried halal, I waited a few minutes in the line at the food cart right outside of the Hagerty Library. I’ve asked many Drexel students why that one particular cart always has a longer line than the others, but no one really knows. I assume it must be the taste because each food cart on campus serves halal with a slightly different flavor. I ordered a lamb gyro with both white sauce and hot sauce. I took my first bite of the gyro and immediately loved the warm lamb and the combination of the sauces and the lettuce. However, I didn’t realize how spicy the hot sauce was for me and my tongue became numb. The gyro was delicious, but the hot sauce scarred me.

Ever since then, my usual order has become chicken with rice and white sauce. My favorite food carts are the ones by the volleyball court and Saxbys. They know that I frequent a lot, so they always fill my box to the brim, which is great and makes me a very satisfied customer.

Halal is a wonderful creation meant to cater to college students. When you don’t know what to have for lunch or dinner, halal is the perfect option because of the many carts on campus. You don’t have to walk far for a yummy meal and trust me, as much as I hate getting out of bed, it is worth the five-minute stroll! When I was extremely sick last weekend, I still made the trek outside of my dorm to grab a bite of halal. In fact, it was the only food I allowed myself to eat.

The price is also phenomenal. For five dollars, you get a fresh meal (that you often will not even finish and can save for later) of your choice of a meal ranging from gyros to chicken, fish or lamb over rice complete with white sauce (my personal favorite) and hot sauce and a free drink. This is the main reason why I buy from halal carts – I get quality food for a low price. The owners of the carts are very nice and welcoming as well. They pride themselves on having awesome customer service.

My love for halal food has only grown since I’ve arrived at Drexel. When I return to my suburban New Hampshire town for the summer, I will miss my beloved carts and chicken over rice and will spend my days looking at pictures of halal on the Internet to make up for the lack of my favorite food. As a huge foodie, I love trying new dishes and highly recommend that you take a small bite of something new the next time you are offered! 

Rachel is a senior at Drexel University majoring in Design & Merchandising. She dreams of traveling the world and loves to learn about new cultures and languages. She also aspires to be the editor-in-chief of her own fashion magazine one day. You can find her binge watching Vanderpump Rules, eating way too much mac & cheese, dancing to her favorite songs and exploring when she goes city-hopping!
Her Campus Drexel contributor.