This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

I don’t hate Valentine’s Day because I’m single or because I’m lonely. I hate it because it’s just a dumb day full of red and pink, and its geared towards companies making a profit and not towards actually genuinely wanting to appreciate your significant other. 

heart that says love on the inside from pexels.com
Pexels
Reasons why:

Capitalism, commercialism, and getting mad at your boyfriend

• Valentine’s Day is a day to sell chocolate in boxes shaped like hearts, and other various red and pink themed things with hearts, therefore making it, in my opinion at least, just a day full of capitalism and commercialism. There are advertisements and coupons that talk about how much your significant other will love or enjoy the materialistic things companies are pushing to sell just so a decent profit can be reached.

• The time for actually appreciating a significant other is far behind us and the pressure to buy as much VDay themed things for them is here. If your boyfriend (or girlfriend, or nongender conforming significant other) doesn’t live up to the Instagram aesthetic of presenting you with rose petals and heart-shaped chocolates and a confession of undying love in the form of an Instagram caption or tweet, there’s going to be some hurt feelings. 

• Businesses pick up on this, and every year try to out-do themselves with the giant (and I meant GIANT) teddy bears and bouquets of roses and different types of sweets so that your perfect significant other can perfectly present to you a perfect display of your perfect loving relationship. And then after all the expensive pink and red things are purchased and gifted, someone will top off the night with a paragraph long Instagram caption on a photo of the two of you smooching in the middle of some romantic place, dedicated to the supposed love of their life to show the world that their significant other is better than everyone else’s. *insert another eye roll and a gagging sound here*

LOVE spelled out with scrabble letter tiles
Pixabay / Pexels
An opportunity for lonely people to complain about being lonely

• Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about Valentine’s Day because I’m lonely, and I don’t hate the “holiday” (it’s not a real holiday, fight me) because I’m single, I just think it sucks. 

• Another reason for its suckiness is all the angry lonely people (and incels) will take to Twitter (or Reddit) and complain to the world that people broadcasting their relationships are gross and annoying and that they feel personally attacked because their personal Prince Charming hasn’t kicked down their emotional walls to present them with pretty flowers and praise them for being alive. We get it, you’re lonely, and this day makes you feel even more lonely, but don’t blame the people in relationships for making you feel like crap when you prevent yourself from happiness by sitting in your locked room and ignoring the outside world. 

• As tired as I am of seeing professions of love on my timeline, I’m even more tired of people complaining about not having a Valentine. 

Women eating bruschetta together
Pexels / Adrienn

A day for girls who are co-dependent on each other to brag about their friendships

• Arguably the worst part of Valentine’s Day is this trend of “Galentine’s” where girls who have been co-dependent on each other since middle school brag about their friendship and treating themselves and each other to the dumbest activities and broadcast it to the world. I mean, I love my gal pals and everything, but I won’t get caught dead making a Galentine’s post because I show my friends appreciation every day of the year, NOT just when it’s trendy (and that’s on treating people with kindness and respect). 

Photo by Laura Ockel on Unsplash
Those colorful candy hearts.

• These things are awful and I’m pretty sure they can be used to write on chalkboards. Yes, I dedicated a whole reason for hating Valentine’s Day to one candy, but girl honestly, name me one person who actually likes them, because I don’t know anyone who does. At least the chocolates are halfway decent and mostly edible, I straight up think these candy hearts are made from dehydrated Tums.

Overall, Valentine’s Day just isn’t worth the hype and the hoards of money spent every year. The best part about Valentine’s Day is the discount leftover chocolate and cupcakes and things at supermarkets, and even those aren’t all that good. And again, just to restate it, I don’t hate Valentine’s Day because I’m single, I hated it even when I had significant others to spend it with, I just think the whole day is stupid and that’s my opinion. 

I am a public relations major with hopes to work for an agency PR firm one day. I love writing and I'm always on the hunt for new article ideas and I love collaborating with like-minded people! Find me on my listed social media and reach out with any questions or comments, I'm happy to talk to you!
Her Campus Drexel contributor.