This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

I’ve been a fan of Grey’s Anatomy for a long time. I started watching it with my mom when I was 10 (how a 10-year-old was even watching this? that’s is crazy) way back in season 6. That’s right, my first live season finale was Derek getting shot and I thought I was super lucky that I got to stay up late to watch the two-hour episode. All in all, I’ve been watching the show for almost half my life and for the first time, I’m jumping off of the Derek bandwagon.  

Image Courtesy of E! Online

Derek Chose Addison

I’m talking all the way back to season 2, which was probably around the same time I was entering Kindergarten. First off, Derek spent the entire first season without spilling the beans that he was married. Then, when his wife shows up and Meredith is forcefully thrown into this love triangle of sorts, all he says is sorry. Which is followed up with Meredith’s declaration of “Pick Me. Choose Me. Love Me,” and Derek being Derek goes back to his wife (Addison). 

Then He Put Her Last. Again.

Derek chooses someone or something else over Meredith so many times throughout the series. He picked Rose when he said Meredith had issues. Then, he picked his own research over Meredith who was trying to save Adel’s life. Let’s not forget that Adel was like Meredith’s mother at one point in her childhood. But, that doesn’t matter to Derek — cause he literally abandons her and leaves her alone with their newly adopted child instead. 

Meanwhile, Deluca Gives His Life Up For Meredith

Okay, sacrificing himself and his career so Meredith wouldn’t have to go to jail at the end of last season was something Derek would never do. In the end, Meredith turned herself in so Deluca wouldn’t go to jail but, in this case, it’s the thought that counts on Andrew’s part. 

That Time in DC

The last time that Derek had to make a decision between Meredith and his career? He only chooses Meredith after his lab buddy kissed him and he realized that he was losing his wife. Remember when he did this to Addison and we just painted her the bad guy? Well, I’d bet that part of his reason for going back to Seattle was because he realized he was doing the same thing over again to Meredith. You know, putting work first and leaving her all to herself. Unfortunately, there’s no Mark Sloane to sleep with his wife this time. 

This may seem like I’m a Derek hater, which I’m not. For a long time, Derek and Meredith were end game with me. Meredith and Deluca haven’t been together that long, but they’ve been together long enough. Longer than her and Derek were when Addison showed up. But most importantly, at least, as of now, he hasn’t done any of the horrible things to her that Derek has.

Kassidy is a dual marketing and legal studies major at Drexel University in Philadelphia. When she's not in class, you can find her binging a new Netflix series, reading, or standing in line at Starbucks.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.