What Your GF Actually Wants for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

It’s easy to fall into the hearts and flowers trap for Valentine’s Day and there’s nothing wrong with that! But after years of receiving red roses, a change of pace would be nice (though you can never go wrong with a box of chocolates). We told you what guys really want for V-Day, so it’s only right to give the girls a say. Here are some gifts she’ll love:

1. Anything from her Pinterest board

If she’s pinning, you’re winning! Definitely check your GF’s Pinterest board to get inspiration. 

2. Just a movie night in

Might as well test your luck with Netflix and chill on the most romantic night of the year. 

3. A date night where you’ve made all of the decisions

Don’t ask her where she wants to go or what she wants to do. Seeing that you have a plan will completely woo her and she’s sure to love whatever’s in store. 

4. Jewelry

This may not be original, but it is a safe option. Steer clear of the cliché heart-shaped necklaces and earrings and maybe opt for a Pandora bracelet. You don’t have to get her a piece that’s specifically for V-Day!

5. Something we mentioned while out shopping that we really wanted

This is vague, but if you can recall something (anything) she said she wanted you’ll get MAJOR brownie points for listening. Start paying attention fellas!

6. Ice skating and dinner

It may not be as romantic as the couples holding hands on the ice in the movies, but falling on your butts and laughing ‘til your stomach hurts is equally as fun. And she’ll appreciate the chance for an Instagram photo-op. 

7. Indoor picnic

This idea is super easy but extremely thoughtful! Find a spot (even if it’s just at your apartment); pack some wine, cheese, bread, and chocolate; light a candle; and just enjoy each other’s company.

8. Fancy, unique restaurant or cook for her

If you’re not opposed to spending a pretty penny on this holiday, take her out to a nice place like R2L or anywhere with a waterfront view (maybe even a boat). She’ll love being wined and dined. Or if you’re looking to save money, impressing her with your cooking skills will be equally as good! 

9. A thoughtful presentation This one may require some research. Watch a romance movie or scroll through Pinterest to come up with something creative and crafty. You could decorate her room with balloons and write reasons why you love her on them, or use post-its to spell out “I love you” on the wall. For this it’s okay to be cheesy!

With these ideas, you’re sure to make your girl swoon. Even if she says she doesn’t like Valentine’s Day, odds are that she’ll appreciate the romantic gesture. So start buying, crafting, and planning to make this V-Day the best one yet! HCXO!

Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.