What to Do When You’re Staying on Campus During Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

*Cries alone in bed, eating instant mashed potatoes*

Staying on campus for Thanksgiving can be super upsetting. While all of your friends get to go home and be reunited with their family and friends, you’ll be stuck in your dorm, bored out of your mind, and maybe even a little homesick. Here are a few things you could consider doing when you’re stuck on campus:

Have a Friendsgiving!

Image courtesy of Buzzfeed

The second best way to celebrate Thanksgiving is with friends. If any of your friends are not going home either, plan a Friendsgiving! Make or buy a little dish to share and you’ll still be able to have a good Thanksgiving away from home.

Get Chinese take-out

Image courtesy of Her Campus

Chinese food is a sure-fire way to drown your sorrows from the fact that you can’t see your family. With so many options, there’s definitely something that will help you forget that you’re alone and not with loved ones.

Go on a Netflix binging spree

Image courtesy of Hello Giggles

Catch up on some shows or re-watch your favorite ones. Whether it’s Stranger Things or Game of Thrones, you’ll be able to pick whatever you want. Bonus: Your roommate won’t be there to judge when you’ve been lying in bed for ten hours, clicking for the next episode.

Have a personal DIY spa day

Image courtesy of GifImage

Make some homemade masks, paint your nails, slice some cucumbers for your eyelids and lay back. With no one to distract you, a personal DIY spa day can be just what you need. The time off and the masks can help de-stress and make for a better on-campus Thanksgiving break.

Pull a Risky Business moment

Image courtesy of Twitter

What’s a better way to celebrate your solitude than sliding around the floor with nothing but socks and a button-up? Nothing.

Clean your room

Image courtesy of Buzzfeed

With no one around, take some time to clean and organize your room. Recycle those old papers and get rid of the dust! When school starts up again, you’ll have a nicer workspace and won’t have to worry about everything being a mess for a bit.

Catch up on work

Image courtesy of The Bump

Chances are, you’ll have work due after Thanksgiving. Get a head start and you won’t have to worry so much about it later on.

Try to cook

Image courtesy of Giphy

Get in touch with your inner Gordon Ramsay and cook something amazing. Or, just cook bacon on an iron, whatever works for you.

Go to the gym

Image courtesy of Giphy

With almost everyone gone for Thanksgiving, the gym will basically be empty. Get ahead on your New Year’s resolutions. Burn some calories while everyone else will be inhaling them at home.

BLACK FRIDAY!

Image courtesy of Giphy

This seems pretty self-explanatory. Go shopping and get those holiday gifts for your loved ones (or just yourself).

Take advantage of these ten things that you could do during your on-campus Thanksgiving break. Whether you take all or none of the suggestions, enjoy the break from school. Before you know it, work will start to pile up again and the hectic college lifestyle will take over. Enjoy the relaxation!

Diane Nguyen

Drexel '21

Diane Nguyen is a Drexel University senior from Boston, Massachusetts. As a Global Studies major and Criminal Justice and Chinese double-minor, she is interested in human rights, specifically immigration and environmental law. She also hopes to volunteer for the Peace Corps and be a part of a nonprofit organization that helps child sex trafficking victims recover from their trauma.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.