Style > Beauty

The Ultimate Do’s and Don’ts of Beauty Hygiene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

The beauty world can be hard to navigate. Finding a simple routine that is easy to maintain is a hard feat to accomplish. We could all use a little help and advice on what we should and should not be doing in our beauty routines. Why beauty hygiene is so difficult, we’ll never know, but we’ve rounded up some simple dos and don’ts to help you get on the right track.

DO:

1. Wash your face everyday. 

You should actually be washing your face twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. Washing your face after a hard workout is also a good idea. This helps the prevent the buildup of grime, dirt, and bacteria which can lead to acne and irritation.

2. Moisturize your face after washing it.

After you wash your face, your skin is sensitive and is more prone to irritation, especially during the winter months. Experiment with different moisturizers depending on your skin and preference. Since I have very dry skin during winter, I use Garnier Moisture Rescue. However, during the summer months, I have combination skin and generally only use Baby Lotion because it’s lightweight.

3. Brush your teeth twice a day.

Think of all the food you eat and the beverages you drink throughout the day. Do you really want that residue sitting on those pearly whites? You should also be flossing at least every other day. Try these Oral B Floss Picks—they are very easy to use, even when something is stuck between your teeth.

4. Wash your makeup brushes weekly!

Even if you wash your face twice a day everyday, you should still wash your make up brushes at least once a week (Tip: Your Beauty Blender and sponges should be washed daily). The bristles on the brushes contain leftover makeup particles, which can lead to an uneven application. The buildup on the brushes may even deposit back onto your face. An easy and affordable way to wash makeup brushes and sponges is by using a Baby Soap Bar, or Baby Shampoo, and warm water.

5. Get a good night’s rest.

By sleeping at least 8 hours, you give your skin the chance to replenish itself. This also helps you avoid puffy eyes.

6. Use SPF.

The sun is a powerful thing. It provides light, energy and a million other benefits, but it could also cause damage. You should always wear SPF. Most makeup now comes with SPF coverage, though this is usually minimal. So during the summer months, when the sun is at its strongest, you may want to consider replacing your moisturizer with a Sunblock Lotion. Sunblock moisturizes as well as protects skin from irreparable damage form the sun.

7. Trim your hair and nails.

You might want to consider a hair trim every three months to prevent dead and split ends. This helps keep your hair looking and feeling healthy and shiny. You should buff your nails bi-weekly for the same reasons.                    

8. Drink plenty of water.

Did you know your body is made up of 70 percent water? You should drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and maintain healthy cells. Water also gives skin its moisture and healthy appearance.

9. Experiment with what’s best for you!

Depending on what type of skin you have or what your preferences are, you’ll have to experiment and learn what is best for you. I happen to have sensitive skin, so I learned that a lot of baby products work well and won’t irritate my skin. Don’t be afraid to do some research and test new products. If your feeling stuck, the associates at Sephora and Ulta are very helpful for such purposes!

DON’T:

1. Put lemon juice or toothpaste on your face.

Lemon juice is highly acidic and can cause more damage to skin because of its acidity. The acid will dry out your face as well as cause redness and irritation. Toothpaste usually has a type of whitener in its formula, which can cause the same type of damage as lemon juice. Instead, try a spot treatment or essential oil to get rid of those pesky pimples. I personally like Burt’s Bees Spot Treatment.

2. Store your makeup brushes, toothbrush, etc. by a toilet.

Did you know that water from the toilet could be sprayed up to 16 feet when the toilet is flushed? Not only does the water spray up, but leftover bacteria can also float in the air for up to 16 hours. Gross! It is unsanitary to store your makeup brushes and toothbrush near a toilet. The best place to store your makeup brushes is in a closed makeup bag. Similarly, try storing your toothbrush in the medicine cabinet!

3. Tan on a regular basis.

(See number six of the DOs). If the sun can cause irreparable damage in its natural state, think of the harm concentrated UV lights can cause! If you want that healthy-looking glow, try using Jergens Natural Glow.

4. Share makeup.

(See number four of DOs). That is just too much bacteria to think of right now. Not only are you sharing the buildup of multiple makeup products, but your also swapping bacteria that could be deposited back on your face.

5. Pop it!

Popping pimples causes redness and irritation to the skin. It can also lead to scarring and the appearance of large pores. (Note: I could not post a gif because I could not stomach watching those gifs.)

6. Keep using the same body pouf, razor, or toothbrush.

Body poufs should be thrown out after about two months to prevent the buildup of bacteria. Razors should be changed after every five to ten shaves or when it starts to feel dull and no longer gives a close shave. Changing a razor helps prevent nicks, cuts, and razor burns. Toothbrushes should be tossed every two to three months as well.

7. Worry if none of these tips work well for you!

Everybody is unique and should be treated differently! Some things work for some people while for others, not so much. Don’t forget to experiment and find what works best for you! Here’s to hoping this list has proved helpful for you in some way!

Maegan is a sophomore History major at Drexel University who constantly contemplates double majoring or double minoring. When she's not writing a paper, reading or watching Netflix, she can be found day-dreaming, eating, staring at the sun or all of the above.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.