This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

There are many movies, books, television shows, etc. about people traveling through time to change something for the better. In real life, time travel is impossible in this day and age. There are many theories about time travel. For example, one of the most famous theories is Albert Einstein’s theory of special relativity. There are also Kerr black holes and a company called CERN, which is developing miniature black holes on Earth to study them.

Albert Einstein’s theory of special relativity was written in 1905. It states that the laws of physics stay the same for all non-accelerating observers. To prove this theory, he used the example of how the speed of light in a vacuum remains similar even if the observer is moving. To simplify this, if a train was traveling at the speed of light. Only a year would have passed on board, but an estimate of around 223 years would have passed at the train station.

Image courtesy of Forbes

Kerr black holes are black holes without singularities. Roy Kerr believes that if a dying star collapsed into a rotating ring of neutron stars, the force that this created would prevent them from turning singularity. This black hole would be safe to enter without the fear of the infinite gravitational force. If these black holes do exist, it would cause you to exit through a white hole. This phenomenon could throw you into another time or even another universe. The one downside of this theory is that you would not be able to control where and when you are getting thrown back into. It is like a huge gamble. It could throw you into last year or even into a time when you were not born.

A company called CERN has put in many years of research to create their version of the standard model. This model is helping them answer questions like what dark matter is. This model is also helping them create miniature black holes on Earth, to study them in-depth. This company is trying to prove Kerr’s black hole theory. 

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

There are many more different theories on time travel, but most of these theorists agree that it is not possible to travel to the future. You cannot travel to a time that has not already happened. They have also made it abundantly clear that if time travel does become possible, whoever goes back into the past must be extremely careful about changing the timeline. A single mistake, like communicating with someone that you should not have, can destroy a whole timeline. It can also alter this timeline to the point where it drastically changes the future.

Time travel does not exist, but if it did, I would go in a heartbeat. If I could choose a specific time period, I would love to go back to the 1920s. There are many theories out there that scientists are currently trying to prove. If time travel does become a reality, where would you go?

Sweta Patel

Drexel '22

Hey! My name's Sweta Patel and I'm a second-year Finance and Legal Studies major, with a minor in Political Science. I have a passion for all things Netflix, fashion, makeup, and travel. My goal in writing for Her Campus is to spread my own creativity, all while informing the public on topics like politics and sustainability.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.