Toni Morrison, Rita Dove, and Sonia Sanchez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

“Laureate” is a Greek term meaning “a hero of poetry.” In today’s language we consider laureates to be a group of award-winning masters of literature. At the “Conversation and Song” event that took place in the Main Auditorium here at Drexel on November 7, three laureates graced the stage. Toni Morrison, Sonia Sanchez, and Rita Dove, all legendary voices in African American culture and composition, appeared before an eager crowd. 

This special occasion started with a performance by international star and jazz vocalist Ruth Naomi Floyd, who was accompanied by a bassist and a pianist. After the performance, the literary stars of the evening answered a series of questions through storytelling. During the discussion, Morrison memorably mentioned that one of her books had been banned from a prison because “it could start a revolution.” Another memorable moment was when the women were asked whether they preferred writing from a female or a male perspective. The women agreed that they could hide behind the character of a male, but when writing through a women’s voice they were vulnerable.

The inspiring women also discussed some of their writing techniques and strategies. The finished product, they agreed, is never what they intended it to be at the start. They all admitted that without their fellow laureate sisters they would not have accomplished what they have. Morrison, Sanchez, and Dove agreed that when they all began writing, it was to understand what it meant to be human.

The night was a celebration of women, no matter their color or age, and it honored the evolution of generations of women. I personally learned that writing can take you anywhere if you let it. Writing is risk-taking, and you have to be fearless if you want to achieve something. So, collegiettes, remember: “It’s Awomen, not Amen.”

Did you attend this inspiring event? Leave us a comment below or tweet us @HerCampusDrexel!

Aubrey Nagle is an English major at Drexel University. She is currently a Features intern at Marie Claire and has previously interned Seventeen and Philadelphia magazine. She loves everything about pop culture and someday hopes to be a culture critic or an Entertainment Director for a women's magazine or national newspaper.To view her clips visit aubreynagle.contently.com and follow her on Twitter @aubsn.