Techsplained: What Computer Specs Really Mean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

If you’ve ever scoured the internet for the best deal on a new laptop, you’ve probably seen a lot of different specifications tossed around, possibly without knowing what a lot of that language means. It can make buying a new computer even more complicated, especially if you’re looking to get the best possible deal on one that will be able to handle all of your schoolwork, pictures, movies, video games, and other programs.  Here’s a breakdown of some of the most commonly listed specifications on computers, and what they all really mean.

Processor: The processor to your computer is what makes it run. It’s the hardware that executes every command your computer gets and makes. Having a good processor is important, because a better processor will help your computer to run more powerfully, enabling it to handle a larger volume of more intense tasks. Intel is a company well-known for its processors, which are found in a variety of PCs and Mac computers, which is why you will often see “Intel Core Processor” listed in the specifications for a computer.

RAM: This is the live “memory storage” on your computer (RAM stands for “Random Access Memory”). This is usually pretty low because it only holds the processes and calculations that your computer is running at the time, for as long as it is powered on, rather than long-term data. This includes calculations from the current execution of the operating system, which is why your computer needs to boot up every time it is turned on. 

Hard drive: This is your long-term storage for things like pictures, videos, and documents. Your hard drive holds data for long after you shut your computer down. A bigger hard drive means more storage space, so if you know that you’ll need a lot of room look for a hard drive with more space. Space is usually measured in GB, aka “gigabytes”, which is a unit of measurement for the amount of data something can hold. Keep in mind that if you don’t need a ton of space now but might need it later, you can purchase external hard drives, which can be used to hold files that you don’t need as often to help clear up space on your computer. These can also be used to back your computer up in case of a crash.

Graphics/Video/Audio Cards: These cards in your computer enhance performance of its different components, often including video and audio output. Gaming computers, for example, will typically come with excellent graphics and video cards to help games run at higher graphics levels more smoothly. If you need a computer that can run videos or games well, look into ones that are specifically outfitted with high-performance cards. You should also consider looking into a desktop, as these often come with higher performance at a lower cost, since they do not need to be especially durable or mobile.

If you’re in doubt as to what kind of computer you need, consider making a list of what you plan to do with it first. Think about what kinds of programs you plan to run, how often you plan to use your computer, whether you need it to be mobile (laptop vs. desktop), and whether you will need to use it for anything intensive, like engineering programs or video editing software. Going into the buying process with an idea of what you need your machine to be capable of, as well as what you need in order to get that capability, is the best way to ensure that you will get the most for your money when buying a new computer!

Alliy is a sophomore at Drexel University in Philadelphia, majoring in Computer Science and planning to minor in Psychology. Her time is currently divided between working in software development, organizing volunteer students, her fraternity, studying psychology, playing video games, her sorority, wearing a unicorn suit, eating tasty foods and writing a tech column.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.