Techsplained: Wearable Technology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Wearable technology is a pretty modern concept, but there is a quickly growing market for computer-grade watches, glasses, and wristbands. Many people spend so much time on their smartphones or tablets that it makes sense to make the abilities of these technologies (such as the capacity for checking social media updates or responding to calls and texts) immediately accessible in a way that is also aesthetically pleasing.

The most famous piece of wearable technology currently in existence is probably the Google Glass, a groundbreaking pair of (slightly unusual looking!) glasses designed to enhance the productivity and share-ability of our everyday lives. The glasses place a small screen in front of the wearer’s eyes, allowing users to take pictures and video of what they’re looking at using voice commands, share what they’re seeing in real time, see directions laid out before them, and text using just their voice.  Some of the most notable capabilities of this device are its ability to translate spoken words, as well as written words viewed through the glasses (through the use of an app like World Lens), and its ability to look up information using voice commands which is then displayed in front of the wearer.

The Sony SmartWatch is like a wearable “remote” for your Android phone. Text messages and call alerts appear on its screen and the watch itself can be set to vibrate in order to alert the wearer of these events. The multi-touch display can be put on any 20 millimeter watch strap, allowing for some serious customization, and also allows wearers to see Facebook messages and tweets as they’re received, check their calendar, read emails, play music, and yes, even see the time.

The athletic world is a great place for wearable technology to be used, which is why products like the Jawbone Up24 Wristband are becoming more popular. This discreet wristband can track the wearer’s distance traveled, steps taken, calories burned, and active time, as well as their sleep metrics.  Users can monitor and share their goals using the wristband’s corresponding mobile app, sync their data wirelessly to the app, and even use it to wake them up or remind them when they’ve spent too much time idle during a workout. The app can also allow you to look up and log diet information, team up with friends to keep eachother involved, track milestones and give personal recommendations for daily goals.

Some of this technology is still in its infancy stage. For example, in order to test out Google Glass, Google has launched “The Explorer Program”, in which applicants are selected to test out the Google Glass in real-life applications. Others, like the SmartWatch and Jawbone Wristband, can be purchased online and used in your everyday life right now. Regardless of what your exercise regimen looks like or how much of your life you like to share with friends and family, the market for wearable technology is expanding fast, and if there’s not something out there that seems useful for you right now, there probably will be soon!

Alliy is a sophomore at Drexel University in Philadelphia, majoring in Computer Science and planning to minor in Psychology. Her time is currently divided between working in software development, organizing volunteer students, her fraternity, studying psychology, playing video games, her sorority, wearing a unicorn suit, eating tasty foods and writing a tech column.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.