Surviving the Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

I’m sure the winter blues or even a mild form of seasonal affective disorder, has affected most Drexel students by this time of the season. This year’s snowy, slushy weather has cut my energy in half. Is it wrong that Netflix is the only friend I haven’t cut ties with this winter term? I hope not. This winter’s storms and half snow days have made me dream of hibernating until the spring.

To deal with these winter blues I’ve compiled a list of movies to watch and some things to do while impatiently wishing for spring’s miraculous appearance.

Amelie

This movie is a gem. Audrey Tautou’s charming disposition will make you feel optimistic about this weather. Plus, it’s French, what else do you need?

Sidewalls

This lovely movie, in Spanish, depicts a story of two people who have everything in common, but have never met. Argentina holds a strong presence in this film, but the Waldo references really put this film on the list. 

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

You can’t make a feel-good movie list without including an 80’s classic. Everything about this movie is special, from Cameron’s facial expressions, to Ferris’ serenade on a parade float. Ferris skipped school because the weather was too pleasant, which will help you forget what is outside your frosted window. 

Safety Not Guaranteed

Aubrey Plaza may be dark and mysterious, but this movie is refreshing. Any movie about time travel is bound to perk you up. (Photo couretesy of Film District).

Frances Ha

Is it nepotism if I partially picked this movie because the lead actress shares my first name? Greta Gerwig portrays a girl named Frances who for some reason cannot get her life together. It’ll make you laugh and it’ll make you cry, but you’ll feel content after watching it. (Photo courtesy of IFC Films).

If for some weird reason you do not have a Netflix account or have sworn off movies for a new-age detox diet, I suggest you do the following:

1. Drink hot chocolate
  2. Host dance parties in your room
  3. Browse the catalogs for the new spring clothing trends that are emerging 
  4. Get a flippin’ Netflix account already!
Aubrey Nagle is an English major at Drexel University. She is currently a Features intern at Marie Claire and has previously interned Seventeen and Philadelphia magazine. She loves everything about pop culture and someday hopes to be a culture critic or an Entertainment Director for a women's magazine or national newspaper.To view her clips visit aubreynagle.contently.com and follow her on Twitter @aubsn.