Shane Lewis, President of Phi Delta Epsilon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Shane Lewis, junior biology major with a concentration in organismal physiology, is the president of Phi Delta Epsilon here at Drexel. Phi Delta Epsilon is an international co-ed medical fraternity composed of men and women who possess a passion for the field of medicine and a desire to give back to their communities.

Phi Delta Epsilon came to Drexel’s campus last year. It started when Shane contacted the CEO of Phi Delta Epsilon, Karen Katz, during the winter of his sophomore year and expressed his interest in bringing PhiDE to Drexel. She put him in contact with another Drexel student named Wenyu Xin, who was also interested in starting a chapter of PhiDE. Wenyu and Shane, along with many others, worked tirelessly to meet the requirements needed to start their very own chapter of PhiDE.

Phi Delta Epsilon does not charter every school that applies, so having Drexel selected to host a chapter was a huge deal. Shane was elected as president during the fraternity’s first election process. He became the colony president, and they were chartered on June 6, 2015.

According to Shane, there are many benefits of being in Phi Delta Epsilon, “You are surrounded by individuals who share the same goal of going to medical school after graduation, we have a relationship with DUCOM (Drexel University College of Medicine) as well as CHOP (Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia), and the fraternity promotes formal training in leadership, science, and ethics. Our motto is Facta Non Verba, which means deeds, not words. The members of Phi Delta Epsilon strive to prove their greatness through their action rather than listing achievements.” His favorite part is that he finally has a group of people that he can discuss the struggles and triumphs of being a pre-med student with. He says they’re all going through this together and can relate to one another.

Another thing Shane loves about PhiDE is that upperclassmen are able to share their knowledge and experience with younger members. “As an older brother, this is something I am used to and can appreciate,” he said. The hardest part is definitely jumping through all of the hoops Drexel employs for student organizations, Shane said. Dealing with event services was a difficult process, but it is getting easier as time goes on, he said.

Shane is from Bucks County, PA, which is a suburban area just outside of Philadelphia. He went to Pennsbury High School and is currently involved in Drexel EMS and Global Brigades. Shane’s interest in science began at a very young age. His interest in medicine started after taking anatomy and physiology classes his freshman year of high school. That same year, he was even selected to attend the National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine at Villanova University due to his passion for learning about the human body and how it works. At this weeklong event he was able to speak to doctors and learn more about the field of medicine. “I even got to watch a live knee surgery, which was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen,” he said.

After high school, he began searching for even more ways to get involved in the medical field. Shane started volunteering at a local hospital and got his EMT license when he was 18. He then worked as an EMT for the Philadelphia Prison System transporting inmates in emergency and non-emergency situations.

After graduation, Shane wants to be a surgeon—particularly an orthopedic or cardiothoracic surgeon. He is planning to apply to the early assurance program at the Drexel University College of Medicine. Best of luck, Shane!

If you are interested in joining PhiDE, here is their Facebook and Tumblr page!

Her Campus Drexel contributor.