A Review of Forever 21 in Center City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

The new Forever 21 has finally opened up in Center City and we at Her Campus Drexel are excited. The opening event, which occurred on the morning of Valentine’s Day, included the infamous “random gift card giveaway” where the first 300 customers in line were given gift cards, at random, that valued from $10 to $210. As you can imagine, the line was a sight to see and included everyone from toddlers to senior citizens. Although the doors didn’t open until 10 A.M., it was said that people began lining up at 5 A.M.!

I decided to skip the opening event and beat the large crowd by going on a day that was less cluttered and less hectic. Needless to say, after much speculation of the opening date and months of waiting for an update, it was worth the wait. I was impressed after being in the store for only a few short minutes.

Pros

1.     Product Selection: This Forever 21 is not as large as the second-nearest store located in the King of Prussia Mall, but there was a great range of clothing and accessories to choose from. I was surprised to see that some gems that are sold out online were actually available in the store. There seemed to be a good amount of clothing in various sizes available on each rack on the floor. As per usual, there was no slacking in the accessory department, as there were a number of racks stocked with jewelry to choose from. Throughout the store, there were other makeup and novelty pieces on display and easily accessible.

2.     Organization: I don’t know about you, but I am naturally drawn to things that look nice and put together. As I walked around the store, I noticed that the clothes were loosely color coordinated and grouped in terms of style. If you have a hard time shopping (especially in other overwhelming Forever 21 stores) this grouping style is very helpful. For example, there was a section of the store that included many pieces that would fall under the boho category. In another part of the store there was a section that catered to the girls with minimalistic style, and so on. There was also a section of the store that was dedicated to the quick basics. The shoe section was pleasantly roomy and allowed you to try on the shoes comfortably without having to bump into other customers.

Cons

1.     The plus size and men sections: The plus sizes and mens clothing were combined into one section that took up only about a quarter of a space that was located in the back of a subsection of the store. If you had interest in checking out either of these, you’re better off checking them out online.

2.     Slightly cluttered lower level: The lower level of the store is definitely the more cluttered part of the store. It encompasses shoes, jewelry, bags, clothing, and the checkout counter.  As you can imagine, there will pretty much always be a medium sized crowd in the store, which will make navigating your way through the lower level a little difficult. Also, the growing lines at the register almost cut the level in half, as there isn’t much space provided for uniformed lines.

In conclusion, I give the new Forever 21 in Center City 4/5 stars. The combination of the impressive clothing selection and the organization was hard not to appreciate when compared to other Forever 21 stores I have visited. Despite the small venue, they managed to use every corner of the store, without jam-packing a bunch of product, which would provide an overwhelming shopping experience. 

Design & Merchandising major
Her Campus Drexel contributor.