Review of Drexel Tri-Sigma’s A Week of Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

This year, the ladies of Sigma Sigma Sigma at Drexel University started a week of change on April 25, 2016 leading up to the sorority’s philanthropy event, Quest for the Best, on April 30.

The week began with change in Ziploc bags. Bright and early Monday morning, the sisters of Tri-Sigma taped Ziploc bags of change to various vending machines and parking meters around campus. Each bag contained about $1.50, which could easily buy a great pick-me-up snack.

On Tuesday, the sisters taped encouraging notes to walls and mirrors around campus. They did this to promote positivity during a stressful week five full of midterms. Some notes said, “You will achieve greatness,” while others reminded us to be true to ourselves because we’re all uniquely amazing.

The following day, the ladies of Tri-Sigma handed out lollipops in front of the Dragon Statue during the day. The sugary snack was sure to turn any frown upside down.

But the sweetness didn’t stop there. On Thursday, they handed out brain-food to sleep-deprived and hungry Drexel students. Snacks consisted of bags of Smart Food popcorn and pretzels.

Friday was the best day of all. If you were lucky enough to be standing behind a Tri-Sigma sister at Starbucks or Joes or any coffee shop around campus, then your drink was free. The ladies of Tri-Sigma practiced paying it forward per their motto: “To receive much, you must give much.” They also handed out Dunkin Donuts munchkins with a thank you card to the front desk of North Hall, which they are proud to call home.

The week culminated with their annual philanthropy event “Quest for the Best,” which is an Amazing Race-esque course with teams traveling across campus competing in challenges in order to receive their next clue. The event resulted in thousands of dollars for donation to the Sigma Sigma Sigma Foundation, which benefits leadership and scholarship opportunities for the sisters as well as children’s play therapy wings in several hospitals.

When asked why they felt compelled to give back during a time when they were fundraising they had simple answers: “The Drexel community has given us so much already. Not only has Drexel provided us with such a wonderful chapter where we can find our sisters and our home but they also provide us with an education, a place to learn and grown.” The week of change was one way for Tri-Sigma to show their appreciation for the people who attend, work, and learn at Drexel University. We wish these ladies success in their future endeavors throughout the year … and we may secretly be hoping for more coffee and/or lollipops as well.

Maegan is a sophomore History major at Drexel University who constantly contemplates double majoring or double minoring. When she's not writing a paper, reading or watching Netflix, she can be found day-dreaming, eating, staring at the sun or all of the above.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.