Phi Mu’s Philanthropy: Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Have you ever seen “Phi Mu Wingfest” shirts around campus? Or maybe heard about the event through a friend? Well Phi Mu’s smaller scaled wing bowl, Wingfest, is all about eating wings and beating the clock. Wingfest is Phi Mu’s largest fundraiser here on campus where all of the proceeds benefit their national philanthropy, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

Phi Mu, as a national sorority, was the first sorority to establish a National Philanthropy Day, where sisters across the U.S. were encouraged to help out in their local community. On the third Monday of every October sisters engage in philanthropy work within their own community. In addition to National Philanthropy Day, Phi Mu continues to support the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals throughout the year. In our community the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is pretty well known, considering it is just down the street, but CHOP is just one hospital in the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

The CMNH support over 170 hospitals across North America. Their goal is to support any effort to improve the lives of children. Whether it be purchasing new equipment or covering medical costs, the CMNH aims to support children. According to their website, every minute 67 children enter a CMNH, a little more than a child a second whose life may be at stake. From premature births to genetic diseases, the CMNH always have their doors open. With Phi Mu as their only sorority sponsor, their national sorority contribution has totaled over $8 million of support to date.

The CMNH have a great section on their site labeled “Champions” where they highlight child champions from each state that have been helped through CMNH donations. Our local champion is Grayson from CHOP, who has suffered a brain stem tumor and a year later a lawnmower accident. He has yet to let his traumatic experiences get the best of him. Grayson often calls himself Iron Man and loves to belt out Katy Perry. If you’re looking for some really great stories to read check out Grayson’s and all the other champions on the CMNH website.

Phi Mu’s national philanthropy, CMNH, is a constant provider of help and support to children’s hospitals across North America. If you’re looking for a way to get involved and donate, attend Drexel’s Phi Mu chapter’s annual Wingfest fundraiser on May 2nd or donate by clicking on this link. Though Wingfest is only one of the many ways Phi Mu engages in philanthropy, it’s a great event for all students to attend!

Source: 1, 2

Dyana is a pre-junior at Drexel University with a double major in marketing and finance.  She is often stuck on campus studying for her majors, but in her free time she loves to explore what the city has to offer.  Dyana also loves to exercise and stay active all year round; she is always trying new workouts and researching the best way to stay active.  As a closet writer, she is excited to publish her work for Her Campus Drexel! 
Her Campus Drexel contributor.