Makeup Mayhem Founders Sara & Brianna

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Have you ever been so excited by your dreams for the future that you want to start right this second? Freshmen students Sara Hasan and Brianna Nacci have done just that by starting their own makeup artistry business, Makeup Mayhem, here on campus. The two eighteen-year-olds (Sara is soon to be nineteen) have been at Drexel just a few weeks and they’ve already made their mark, and just in time for Halloween (click here to make an appointment and check out their work below).

Though Hasan and Nacci only recently met, their business idea was a long time in the making. While in high school, Hasan, who is a General Business major but will soon be switching to a dual major in Entrepreneurship and Marketing, and Nacci, an International Business and Entrepreneurship major, did makeup for friends for special occasions and proms. Hasan also had a cupcake baking business with her high school best friend called Smokin’ Cupcakes. Each girl’s independent spirit and passion for makeup meshed perfectly together when the two met during Drexel orientation.

“We were at orientation over the summer and we just happened to run into each other and started hanging out. We were talking that night and we both happened to mention that we liked doing makeup. I think I said ‘Oh, I like your eyeliner!’” Nacci said, laughing. “And I said, ‘I like your eyebrows!’” Hasan said. Though the conversation ended without any plans to work together, a few weeks later Hasan texted Nacci, proposing they join forces and continue their businesses as one. “If I want something I just go for it, I don’t just dream about it like ‘Oh, that would be cool to do that one day.’ I do it. I made a website, I got business cards, I got started, and I wanted [Brianna] to do it with me,” Hasan said.

Both women said they got their inspiration to follow this dream from what most students would want and need: money! “I always did makeup for girls at prom and dances and I never really charged them. Then it came to a point where people would say “Wow, you’re really good at makeup. You should do that!” Nacci said.

In regards to their academic interests, both Nacci and Hasan focus on business while their passion for beauty remains a side endeavor. “Besides makeup I have other passions. I always have ideas. I want to have a million businesses!” Hasan said, laughing. “I’m the same exact way,” Nacci agreed, “I think that’s why we are so compatible. We’re both go-getters.”

For Nacci, fashion is her main interest and she thinks one day she may open her own clothing store. “Fashion is definitely more of my passion and it’s something I’m willing to spend the rest of my life doing. But makeup I could definitely see myself still doing on the side,” she said.

As for their creative process and teamwork, the new friends have found it easy to get along and share their ideas. For example, choosing a name for their new endeavor took time and a lot of brainstorming! “We were like ‘It doesn’t matter if it sounds stupid, just say whatever’s on your mind and throw out ideas.’ We both are both very accepting of whatever each other’s ideas are,” Nacci said.

Beginning their relationship at the business level has also definitely helped their teamwork. “I think because we didn’t know each other before [coming to Drexel] we’re not afraid to say no to each other or say ‘I don’t like that’ or ‘What about this?’” Hasan said. “And now we’re definitely closer as friends, too!” Nacci said.

In the beauty side of their business, both Hasan and Nacci found their interest in makeup slowly but surely, graduating from watching and imitating video tutorials to experimenting with their own looks. Both women learned the beauty basics from playing around and trying new things. Hasan also was a dancer growing up, which allowed her to learn stage makeup techniques.

For this week’s holiday, Makeup Mayhem will be doing all kinds of spooky Halloween looks for their customers. Generally, an appointment will cost $10, but for special occasions like Halloween it can be from $15-20. (Which is a steal compared to most professional artists.) Nacci herself will be dressing up as Gwen Stefani circa the late 1990’s – talk about a stylish costume!

While they get settled in to their new home at Drexel, both women are spreading their wings and checking out organizations on campus to join like WKDU and Future Business Leaders of America. Wherever they land, Drexel can be sure Hasan and Nacci will be taking campus by storm – in some killer eyeliner, to boot!

Nominate YOUR friends to be Campus Celebrities!

Aubrey Nagle is an English major at Drexel University. She is currently a Features intern at Marie Claire and has previously interned Seventeen and Philadelphia magazine. She loves everything about pop culture and someday hopes to be a culture critic or an Entertainment Director for a women's magazine or national newspaper.To view her clips visit aubreynagle.contently.com and follow her on Twitter @aubsn.