This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Name: Naa Dedei Coleman

Age: 20

Major: Psychology

Class: Junior (Class of 2018)

Relationship Status: Single

What are three words you would use to describe yourself?

Ambitious, independent, and carefree.

What’s your favorite feature about yourself?

I love my hair. It’s kinky, oily, and curly and most times it cannot be managed. I put it in braids during the school term because I do not have the time to deal with it.

What advice would you give to young girls?

Do not let anyone tell you what you are or what you can or cannot do. If you believe you are beautiful, then believe it. If you don’t define who you are by yourself, you give people the chance to do it for you. And most times, they are not kind about how they define you.

How do you define “beautiful”?

There is no set definition for beautiful, but I would define it as being yourself wholly and without apology. To accept yourself, no matter how brash, bold, or shy you are and not taking your cues for self-approval from outside sources.

Who was the best female role model for you when growing up and why?

I come from a family of fiercely independent women who were always inspiring me. Beyond that, I found inspiration from Kimora Lee Simmons in how she did not hide who she was, and allowed her personality to shine through no matter where she was.

What’s the best thing about being a woman in your opinion?

The best thing about being a woman to me is shattering all the opinions that society has set and breaking down the barriers that have been set by gender inequality.

What’s one challenge you’ve faced as a woman? How did you combat it?

I wouldn’t say that being a woman has given me that many challenges. Most of my challenges have been as a result of other factors that make me a minority in society.

What’s one stereotype about females that you want to counteract?

I want to destroy the stereotype that a woman cannot do as well as a man in some industries. If women had been given the same opportunities and support as men, who is to say we will not thrive in those positions?

What are your #goals for the future?My goals for the future involve traveling the world, writing, and lending a hand where I am needed.

Why do you #LoveYourself?

I love myself because there is no one else who can love me more than myself. I am one of a kind, and that needs a unique love to thrive and grow.

Naa Dedei is a Psychology major with minors in Communication and Writing at Drexel University. Two things she is extremely passionate about are writing and her country, Ghana. Her goal is to study International law and work with the UN or start her own nonprofit to deal with Human Rights issues. Other than posting on her blog, she can be found whipping up a meal in her kitchen or lounging in her couch, either glued to a book, or binge-watching a show on Netflix.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.