#LoveYourself: Maegan Madrigal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Name: Maegan Madrigal

Age: 19

Major: History

Class: Sophomore (Class of 2019)

Relationship Status: Single

What are three words you would use to describe yourself?

Outgoing, happy, and “energy-efficient” (I feel like lazy has a bad connotation).

What’s your favorite feature about yourself?

I love my almond shaped eyes and my long hair (even if I am overdue for a haircut). If you know me, you know I always say I want to cut my hair but I never go through with it, because I would feel almost lost without it.

What advice would you give to young girls?

No matter what anyone tells you, you are beautiful. No you don’t have to look like the girl in the magazine or online who is probably photo-shopped. The only standards you should hold yourself to are the ones you set for yourself.

How do you define “beautiful”?

Some beauty is only on the surface. While this is fine and all, it takes more than looks to be beautiful. To be truly beautiful, you have to be a good person. You have to be genuine, nice, kind, and you have to be a positive person. Those are the girls that are beautiful inside and out. I firmly believe that beauty comes from within.

Who was the best female role model for you when growing up and why?

My mom will always be my role model. As a single mother, she raised me, sent me to private school, encouraged my dreams, even if they were expensive and on the opposite coast, but most importantly she loved me and always told me I was beautiful inside and out (whether I was or wasn’t is another story).

What are your #goals for the future? 

Well after five years at Drexel, one might think that I would want to be done with school. However, I want to go back home to California for law school, pass the bar on my first try because that is the #UltimateGoal, and hopefully by then I’ll have the rest of my life figured out.

Why do you #LoveYourself? 

I love myself not just because of how I look (because some days are MUCH better than others), but because of who I am and how I was raised. My mom instilled in me the confidence to go across the country and be who I am. I know I am probably not the nicest person, or the funniest, or the prettiest, I’m definitely never the tallest, but I am “me.” And I love me as a person.

Maegan is a sophomore History major at Drexel University who constantly contemplates double majoring or double minoring. When she's not writing a paper, reading or watching Netflix, she can be found day-dreaming, eating, staring at the sun or all of the above.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.