This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

When talking about sisterhood in college, there are many different definitions of the term “sister.” Though the term refers to a familial relationship, in college, the value of friendship can go along way. There will be times when homework and exams become too much, boys can leave trails of broken hearts, or being away from home can take a toll on a mental state. Having the opportunity to have a friend to call a sister brings a new definition of “home” while in college. A sisterhood can bond girls together for life and bring benefice between individuals when discovering the trials and tribulations to adulthood. The road to sisterhood can be important, take it from us.

Candice: As a person in a sorority, I think sisterhood changed in my life in college in terms of being able to have an all-around support system at hand whenever I need it. I joined Phi Mu in the Fall of 2018 and did not think it would have changed my life the way it did. When I came to school, I was the ultimate homebody and did not go out of my way to find friends to go out with every weekend or study with when I had tests and exams. I barely branched out until I joined a sorority. I was someone who was not used to having girls around me all the time and I never once thought I would find myself living in the sorority house either. I realized from living in the house this current year that it made me closer to the friends I made more than ever before. The interpersonal relationships with the people I consider my sisters are my best friends. I can think back to why it is important to have a sisterhood because I have people I can stay up with laughing until the Resident Advisor texts us to be quiet. I think about the moments where we would be screaming in the house over a cockroach that made its way from one room to another. I can think back to the moment I would find myself crying over another first world problem and I would hear a knock on my door. It would be the sound of another one of my sisters making sure that I was doing okay. The experience of having a sisterhood that I never imagined I would have is important because the idea of women wanting to help others while supporting each other is a privilege not all women have in life. As girls, it is important that we stand up and support each other rather than see each other as competition. By doing so, it creates unbreakable bonds in which we keep each other accountable while pushing each other to do our best in life. These girls are my home away from home, a family, and I am forever grateful.

Emma: Choosing to go to college with my sisters was the best decision I’ve ever made. I am a triplet and have had my sisters by my side my whole life. My decision to attend the same college as my sisters have granted me the privilege of feeling at home even in new surroundings.

College can be a tumultuous experience for people who have trouble finding a sense of community and belonging. At Drexel, life tends to come at you fast with our relentless 10-week quarter system and the co-op program. I always have my sisters to confide in and lean on for support when I feel overwhelmed.

I realize that being a triplet with two amazing sisters is a unique situation, but I do feel that every college-age woman deserves to have the same kind of enduring relationship that I have with my sisters. In a relationship, the combination of having a friend that is also family is invaluable. My sisters motivate me to reach for my goals and to never stop chasing what I want in life. They know everything about me- all the intimate details of my life that have made me who I am. They listen to me, give me advice when I need it and make me laugh.

Sometimes I think about when we were little, and before bed, at night we would talk about our days. We would tell each other every minute detail about what happened in our respective classrooms that day. Everything that made us feel sad or happy. Although we don’t make a ritual of this anymore, I know that my sisters will always listen to me whether I have to vent to them or tell them good news.

Although we all have different majors and daily schedules, we are always just a short distance away on the same campus.

Emma Riverso

Drexel '22

Emma is a sophomore at Drexel University studying communication with a focus in journalism. She’s passionate about all things food, family and Philadelphia.
Public Relations Student in the College of Arts & Sciences at Drexel University