How to Tame Frizzy Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.
I don’t know if the booty shorts and topless men on Buckley Field have given it away yet, but it is spring y’all! There are so many great things that come along with spring, from finally being able to wear something other than leggings and a sweatshirt, to seeing actual trees with actual leaves on them. Exciting! Unfortunately, something not so great that comes along with the warm weather is the humidity. It tends to leave your hair looking something like this:

The truth is, there could be many things that are causing your frizzy hair. It could be due to humidity, a bad diet, a bad haircut, or just your natural hair type.

There are, however, several tips and tricks that you can use to combat your fate!

Tip 1: What you eat reflects in the healthiness of your hair! Your hair is made mostly of protein, and when you eat extremely small quantities of protein, your hair tends to become dry and weak. Eat foods like chicken and legumes. You also need omega-3’s like salmon and avocado. Their oil will keep your hair hydrated. In addition to protein and omega-3’s, you need iron like spinach and broccoli! A depletion in iron will end up causing you a great deal of hair loss. Basically, try to eat healthy, balanced meals. Avoid those Chick-fil-a fries, girl. Your hair will thank you.      

Tip 2: Don’t you dare brush your hair while it’s dry! A lot of people say that you shouldn’t brush your hair when it’s wet because your hair is very delicate then. This is true, however, that’s why you should use a wide tooth comb. Your hair is the easiest to detangle when it’s wet; this creates a lot less breakage than it would if you were to brush your hair dry. 

Tip 3: Take advantage of the heat! I know that especially if you are taking classes on campus this term, you will be in the hot sun a lot! At least once a week, try this easy “hot oil hair treatment”: Make sure your hair is slightly damp. Massage a bit of oil into your scalp and hair. You can use any kind of oil you want— olive oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, argon oil, etc. Don’t completely saturate your hair though… that will leave you in an oily mess. Try using about two to three tablespoons of the oil, though the amount you should use does vary from person to person. After you have applied the oil, put it in a cute up-do or braid for the rest of the day. At the end of the day, wash it out with shampoo and conditioner. Voila. Flawless.

Tip 4: The type of hair products you use really affects your hair. Make sure that they are as natural and simple as possible. Avoid sulfates, parabens, and silicones like the plague. To ensure that you are using a shampoo that your hair likes, look at the ingredients on the back of the bottle. If you know what at least most of them are, then you’re good. Also, is there a lot of lather in your shampoo (the bubbly, frothy things)? No good. That lather is caused by the detergent added to some shampoos. Burn it! (jk) (but really though.) It has no cleansing value and it also adds a lot of frizz to your hair. Two great natural hair brands are DevaCurl and Shea Moisture. Check them out.

Tip 5: Last but not least, and what I feel is the MOST important tip of all: after shampooing and conditioning, rinse your hair with cold water. If you disregard all of the other tips and just use this one, believe me, you will still see such a difference in your hair! The cold water will close your pores, preventing dirt from accumulating on the scalp. It will also close your hair cuticles, preventing the moisture from leaving your hair. After rinsing your hair, dry it with an old cotton t-shirt. This will leave your hair frizz free all day!

Have a great day ladies, and remember, with or without frizz, you all still got it goin’ on.

My name is Ashley! I'm a sophomore at Drexel University, double majoring in Marketing and International Business. I’m from the Cayman Islands.  I love to read and write. I am a dog whisperer. I am a parent whisperer.  I know every lyric of every Kanye West song. It’s nice to meet you. Twitter: @ashleybrianna_Instagram: @ashleybernard_I’m really cool, I swear.
Aubrey Nagle is an English major at Drexel University. She is currently a Features intern at Marie Claire and has previously interned Seventeen and Philadelphia magazine. She loves everything about pop culture and someday hopes to be a culture critic or an Entertainment Director for a women's magazine or national newspaper.To view her clips visit aubreynagle.contently.com and follow her on Twitter @aubsn.