you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Tackle the Independent Co-Op Search

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Finding the perfect job can be pretty stressful, whether it’s the perfect co-op or a job after graduation. This isn’t a part-time job at the mall; the co-ops you take and the jobs you land after graduation are crucial steps toward finding a lifelong career. So, it’s important to take the job searching process seriously and make decisions that will make you happiest at the end of the day. As always, HC Drexel has got you covered with a few tips and tricks to help you find the right fit for your co-op.

We all had to sit through that boring Co-Op 101 class and if you paid attention there were some important lessons intertwined in those fifty minutes. Moral of the story, though, is that there are a lot of resources and job opportunities available to us through the Steinbright Career Development Center and SCDC online. But, if those aren’t enough, here are some alternative routes to create a new kind of job opportunity. 

It sounds pretty cliche, but seriously, utilize your resources! Maybe SCDC doesn’t have your dream job in the database, but the search doesn’t stop there. There are so many options and resources available to us to figure out what a great job would mean for us. Also, don’t count your co-op coordinator out as a resource! With the help of my advisor I was able to find sites such as internships.com and idealist.com to help me find my dream job. If you make an account on these sites, you’ll have access to thousands of job opportunities. 

The Internet is a wonderful creation, so definitely use it to your advantage. If you don’t want to use one of the sites mentioned above, just search Google or other search engines for internships in your area. My go to search phrase was “Internships in Philadelphia 2015,” and gave me a multitude of job options. 

Another great way to find jobs is through the network of professors here at Drexel. Ask any professor—especially in your field of study—if he or she knows of any research positions or needs any help conducting research. Also, a good thing to take note of is that many jobs ask for a recommendation letter, so finding that professor you really enjoy and making a personal connection with him or her can only be beneficial to you in the long run.

Finding job listings is one thing, but keeping track of all the positions you’ve applied to is a completely different story. Unlike SCDC, which automatically tells you which jobs you have interviews for and sends your résumé for you, doing an independent search means you have to make sure you are staying on top of deadlines and sending all necessary components of your applications. I personally made a spreadsheet for crucial information such as deadlines, different application components (résumés, recommendation letters, transcripts, cover letters etc.), interview dates and times, and a brief summary of how I felt after the interview to keep everything straight. This really helped me stay organized and on top of things.

Also, don’t follow the money. Bear in mind that the co-op job that can offer you the best experience may be unpaid, and that’s okay. Especially with the independent job search, since you are going out of the way and seeking out these positions, chances are you won’t get paid. But, there’s always another part-time job to be had, so remember to pick a job that you know you’ll enjoy doing.

The hunt for a co-op can get stressful and very overwhelming at times, but don’t be afraid to think outside of the box and look somewhere other than SCDC online to find a job! When it comes to finding the right co-op, it helps to put in the extra effort. You will be spending six months of your life at the company you choose, so make the decision that’s right for you. Finally, remember to network because your co-op could potentially land you a post-grad job. 

Happy job searching, Dragons!

Sophomore at Drexel University, majoring in International Area Studies.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.