How to Survive Being Sick Away From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

We all know exactly how tough it can be to get super sick when you’re living on your own for the first time, especially during such a busy term. Here are some tips for how to survive it and get back on your feet!

1. Take It Easy

If you’re feeling under the weather or think you may have possibly caught some sort of illness, avoid stressing yourself out too much. If it is at all possible, contact your professors to let them know that you will not be attending class. Avoid checking WebMD with all of your symptoms because you will think you have some sort of tumor and/or a chronic or terminal illness.

2. Use Your Support Network

Do you live far away from home and your mom’s nurturing nature? Use the network you already have at college. Ask your lovely roommates to run to CVS to get you some meds that will clear that stuffy nose right up! Also, see whether your classmates could share notes with you, or grab you an extra copy of papers passed out during any classes you miss.

3. Stock Up on Campbell’s Soup

If you are seriously missing your mom’s homemade chicken noodle soup, embrace the canned alternatives. They might not be as delicious or fresh, but they’ll still do the job. Also, drink lots of hot liquids in general, like tea or hot chocolate. You’ll feel cozy and relaxed in no time.

4. Lysol Everything

Don’t forget to avoid spreading your germs! Dorms are practically a breeding ground for germs. Make sure you sanitize everything (including your germ-filled death bed) so your roommates won’t have to experience the same sickness. 

Aubrey Nagle is an English major at Drexel University. She is currently a Features intern at Marie Claire and has previously interned Seventeen and Philadelphia magazine. She loves everything about pop culture and someday hopes to be a culture critic or an Entertainment Director for a women's magazine or national newspaper.To view her clips visit aubreynagle.contently.com and follow her on Twitter @aubsn.