How Geeky Are You: 5 Ways to Dress for Comic-Con

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Wizard World Comic Con is coming to Philadelphia from June 2nd to June 5th, and I won’t lie about how excited I am. Between the strong sense of community, the creative spirit that permeates everything, and the pure fun of the weekend, Comic-Con is a great experience. Another aspect, though, is the fashion. From subtle to bold, here are five ways to dress for the next pop culture convention you go to – whether that is Wizard World or not.

1. The Closet Geek

Whether you’re a newbie to the world of pop culture fandoms, a casual fan, or just generally feeling intimidated by geeky getups, dressing in your “normal”, non-themed outfits is a totally acceptable choice for going to a convention. These events often consist of a lot of walking around, standing in line, and being in close proximity to other people. With your own everyday wardrobe, you’re guaranteed to be comfortable all day long. Go ahead and throw on your leggings! It’s no big deal to be a closet geek.

2. The Goldilocks

People go wild for “Easter eggs” and subtle references in TV shows, video games, comics, etc. So why not apply it to an outfit? To achieve the just right sweet spot between the closet geek and the merch collector, try out a few simple touches. Hair accessories, jewelry, and shoes are easy (and often inexpensive) ways to express your fan identity without getting decked out in merchandise. My personal favorite is geeky bows. I like to put my hair up into a bun and place a bow either on the front or back.

3. The Merch Collector

Some people say that less is more. Others say that more is more – that’s the thought behind the merch collector look. Put your geekdom on full throttle with graphic tees, bags, pins, bags and other accessories. You can do head-to-toe of one franchise or another, or vary it. While it may be a sensory overload to some, the merch collector look is great for when you want to meet new people and start conversations with people who are fans of the same things you are. After all, some of the best friendships have started with, “Hey, I like your shirt!”

4. The Inspired Dresser

If you’ve ever seen the Polyvore boards from Disneybound, you might know where I’m going with this. If you’re interested in cosplay (the act of dressing up like a character), but don’t have the time, money, or resources to create a cosplay, the inspired dresser look is for you! By replicating the style details and color palettes of a character you want to emulate, you can create an “everyday cosplay” from items you might have in your closet already. This Captain America outfit combines a simple blue dress, skinny red belt, and red wedges with some patriotic details.

5. The Full Blown Cosplayer

I recently described cosplay to a friend as “Halloween, yet artful … and on steroids.” If you don’t mind getting a lot of attention from other attendees at the convention and want to get creative with your look, cosplay might be for you. Fair warning: Like any project, a good cosplay will take a lot of time and effort to make. Be prepared for some hard work and dedication! It’s all worth it in the end, though.

No matter what you wear, you are sure to have tons of fun at Comic-Con whether it’s your first time or you’ve been going for years. Don’t forget to tag us in your pictures on Instagram (@hercampusdrexel) so we can see how you dressed for the occasion!

Her Campus Drexel contributor.