Her Campus Drexel’s Official Ranking of DAC Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

One of the great things about going to school at Drexel is that you automatically have access to the Daskalakis Athletic Center, better known to us Dragons as the DAC. What you may or may not have known is that the DAC offers group exercise classes like yoga, Zumba, and cycling. So the next time you hit the gym to work on your beach bod, take some of these workout options into consideration! For your convenience, HC Drexel has enlisted the help of some fitness fanatics and ranked some of the activities the DAC has to offer! 

1. BODYPUMP:This hour-long class uses varying weights to target mainly arm and leg muscles. If you love to squat, press, lift, and curl then this is the class for you. If you’re looking for an intro to the world of weight lifting, then you may want to start of with BODYPUMP™ express, which is a 45-minute version of the class. Freshman fitness junkies Emily Bendavid and Grace DiSimoni raved about this engaging workout. “I like it because you’re building muscle,” Grace said.

There are different days for arms and legs, which assures that you won’t be sore in too many places the next day. The class teaches you how to lift weights and you can apply what you learn from body pump to your workouts outside of class. “BODYPUMP™ is the closest thing to getting a personal trainer,” Emily said. The two warn beginners that if you don’t go to the gym frequently you will walk away sore even if you use light weights. They also believe that this class is the most popular and it fills up quickly, so be sure to sign up early because space and equipment are limited.

2. Cardio ‘n’ Tone:Cardio ‘n’ Tone was deemed the “best cardio workout” that is guaranteed to get your heart rate up. The class utilizes basic cardio moves typically performed by athletes. A constant rollercoaster of rigorous motions and cool-off periods will help you shed major calories in this 60-minute routine. “Literally, you want to die but it’s the best cardio intense work out,” Emily cautioned. Out of all the DAC activities this one takes the most out of you, the ladies agreed. If you haven’t eaten a meal or drank much throughout the day, do not go to this class! If you neglect to nourish your body beforehand, you will find yourself fatigued and dizzy. They also added that Cardio ‘n’ Tone is not for beginners!

3. BODYCOMBAT™: If you’re looking to spice up your cardio routine, try this class. The DAC class descriptions call it “fiercely energetic” and that is completely accurate! This class borrows techniques from a diverse variety of influences and will definitely not disappoint. With a combination of taekwondo, mixed martial arts, boxing, karate, tai chi, and muay thai, BODYCOMBAT™ keeps things fast-paced and interesting during the entire hour. Make sure to bring a towel to blot off some serious sweat!

4. Boot Camp:If you want to find a fun workout to do with a group of friends, look no further than Boot Camp. This class has tons of team exercises, so bringing a workout buddy or two is a great idea! Boot Camp is a high-intensity class that consists of bursts of rigorous activity including short runs and HIIT circuits. No matter how physically fit you are this class will definitely be a challenge for all.

5. Core conditioning:Say hello to six-pack abs! Well, not instantly, of course, but if you keep up with this core-strengthening workout, then you will definitely find that your abdominals will be more defined. Due to intensity, this class is only a half-hour long but your muscles will thank you the next day for not pushing them any harder.

6. Cycle:Bike over plains, hills, and mountains in this multi-terrain class. Workout buddies Isabella Brito and Melissa Lubitz warned that “your butt will hurt” because of constant up and downs on the bike. However, you will feel like you got a good workout after this challenging ride. Your endurance will be put to the test by the tough instructors who chant words of encouragement at you to get you through the 45 or 60-minute class. Be mindful that you must register ahead of time for this class because equipment is limited, but you can conveniently do so online.

7. Yoga:The yoga classes at the DAC offer different levels of intensity for different purposes. There are classes that focus on yoga for relaxation and others for stamina. Either way, yoga is a good way to wind down and free your mind of stress after a long week of classes. Also, it’s a good way to loosen up your muscles after partaking in any of the energetic classes listed above. Make sure to bring a mat, though, otherwise you will have to borrow one from the weight section.

8. Pilates:The Pilates class offered at the DAC is good for beginners because it teaches you the basics. However, if you are more advanced you may find yourself a little bored and unchallenged. But, even beginners’ Pilates engages your core and improves balance and strength while coordinating your breathing to the motions. Similar to yoga, be sure to bring a mat for this class.

9. Zumba:Of all the classes, our fitness experts ranked Zumba the lowest in the lineup. Emily lamented that the class “wasn’t upbeat enough or fast-paced. The music was fun, but I wasn’t as sweaty as I would like to have been when I was done.” She has taken Zumba classes at other gyms and found that the one she took at the DAC was lacking in comparison. However, she did mention she only went once so the intensity may vary depending on the instructor. Regardless, Zumba’s catchy music and hip dance moves make for a great time with friends!

Other classes that our advisors have not tried yet are Barre and Kettlebell. Grace suggested that she would check these out if the crowd favorite, BODYPUMP™, was full one day. All of the ladies said that they prefer the hour-long classes to their shorter counterparts. “It takes 20 minutes of intense cardio for your body to start burning fat, so a thirty minute class is less attractive to me,” Emily noted.

With bikini season coming up it is easy to get tired of the same old workout routine. So, if you want to try something new, attend one of these awesome classes! Whether you’re looking to tone, burn fat, or have some fun, there are classes to fit your every need. Grab a friend and try them all and let us know which ones are your favorites!

(Source: http://drexel.edu/recathletics/wellness/group-exercise/ ) 

Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.