This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Welcome to class! Today, we’re going over every subject we learned in school and rewriting the history we were taught. From Sybil Ludington to Madam C.J. Walker, there are fundamental lessons to be learned from the women greatly ignored by history. Here are only a few of the women we should have learned about in class:

English Class: Alice Dunbar-Nelson

An alumna of Straight University and Cornell University, Alice Dunbar-Nelson has long been overshadowed by her first husband, Paul Laurence Dunbar’s legacy. However, her importance to the field of literature has been dug up recently and brought into the spotlight. Her works, Violets and Other Tales and The Goodness of St. Rocque and Other Stories delved into the lives of creole characters, while exploring racism and the oppression of women.

Computer Science Class: Ada Lovelace

The only child of Lord Byron, Ada Lovelace’s connection to her father has obscured her crucial importance to the field of computer programming. A prolific mathematician, Lovelace’s work on the Analytical Engine, a mechanical general-purpose computer, provided the first algorithm specifically crafted for a machine. For this reason, she is considered the first computer programmer.

Math Class: Gladys West

Another prolific mathematician, Gladys West is a force to be reckoned with. Thanks to her phenomenal work on the mathematical modeling of the shape of the Earth as well as the satellite geodesy models, the Global Positioning System (GPS) is now an everyday tool we use.

Science Class: Dr. Valerie Thomas

If you’ve ever enjoyed a 3D film, you have Dr. Valerie Thomas to thank. Dr. Thomas has worked in various high-level positions within NASA and holds the patent for the illusion transmitter, which made possible the technology for future 3D films.

History Class: Sybil Ludington

You’ve heard of Paul Revere, but have you heard of the even more impressive Sybil Ludington? I bet you haven’t. Ludington rode for forty miles while carrying a branch to fight off bandits to alert militias of incoming British troops. Revere rode for less than half of what Ludington did and still manages to lay claim to the history books.

Business Class: Madam C.J. Walker

If it feels like self-made millionaires are everywhere these days, it sure didn’t feel like it back in the late 19th century. However, Madam C.J. Walker pulled up her bootstraps and became an entrepreneur, philanthropist and political activist after founding the Madam C.J. Walker Manufacturing Company. The company developed hair care and cosmetics products.

Political Science Class: Elouise P. Cobell

Elouise P. Cobell, Yellow Bird Woman, was the definition of badass. From being the founder of the first Native American bank to leading one of the largest class- action lawsuits against the United States, Cobell was a fighter and leader through and through.

Music Class: Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Forget about Elvis. Sister Rosetta Tharpe is now the face of rock and roll. Whether she was shredding on her guitar or wailing into a microphone, her undeniable rippling influence on generations upon generations of musicians is thoroughly impressive.

You simply cannot silence women’s influence on history. Whether it is music, science or literature, the mark that women make on history is undeniable. Search for even more incredible women you may not have learned about in school!

Emmy is a senior at Drexel University where she studies English and communication. She's previously written for FreshU, CollegeXpress, and Spoon University. You can find her exploring this great big world of ours, from California to Paris.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.