alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

East Coast Versus West Coast Beaches

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

With the heat coming in full blast and school almost at an end, the beach is the place to be! Being a West Coast girl myself, I was in a conundrum. Which beach do I enjoy this summer: the boardwalk at the The Jersey Shore or the L.A. waves? In order to make the decision I took it upon myself to weigh the pros and cons of each beach.

Water Waves

L.A.: In Los Angeles (the City of Angels), the waves are literally #blessed. The cool water provides the perfect refresher on a hot day. On a balmy summer day, surfers can be seen all around Malibu and the surrounding areas. Zuma Beach is an ideal example. It’s known for its crystal blue waters and providing great waves for all ages. Another excellent spot is Hermosa Beach, known for its Surfer Statue. There is one con however – L.A. beaches are always, and I mean ALWAYS, busy. It’s rare to find a free wave to ride and it’s even more rare to find an empty spot on the sand.

Jersey Shore: The Jersey Shore is known around the world for its beaches, but the water isn’t always ideal for surfing. The best time to surf in Jersey isn’t in the summer, but rather in the fall. The waves grow high and provide the perfect backdrop to shred the water. Surfing in the fall also means no crowd on the beach, which is always a plus! In the summer, however, the water is fabulous to play and swim around in, so I’ve heard. The one con is that due to all the storms and hurricanes along the East Coast, there isn’t always an ideal time to escape to the beach.

Summer Weather

L.A.: In L.A., we are fortunate to have summer all year round. The beach is always at an optimal 75 degrees and when it gets a little too warm, a cool ocean breeze always floats by. A negative is that the heat is very dry. Salt water, dry weather, and hot sand can really do a number on a person’s complexion and skin.

Jersey Shore: New Jersey doesn’t always have the best weather. New Jersey has four distinct seasons, which doesn’t always bode well for the beach. However, worry not! In late spring, summer and early fall, the beach is the place to be. The heat is not too dry and not too hot. Even though humidity is the devil for hair, the Jersey Shore boardwalks always have a solution!

The Walks on the Board

L.A.: If you want a good boardwalk in L.A., your go-to spot is Venice Beach. Venice has a 2.5-mile boardwalk filled with tourist attractions and amazing eateries. Street vendors provide the perfect snacks and drinks to get while walking and enjoying the sunshine. Walking on the boardwalk gives you a visual treat! You can always find street performers and dancers. Muscle Beach is also great because of the amazingly hot guys who work out there, hence the name. The bad side to Venice is that parking is terrible. It is always packed so travelers and tourists aren’t lucky enough to obtain parking spots close to the beach.

Jersey Shore: Any Jersey Shore frequenter knows about the Wildwood boardwalk! Wildwood’s boardwalk is a 1.5 to 2-mile boardwalk which is basically a sensory overload! There are tons of parks and amusement piers with a lot of live entertainment. It even has rides and attractions for kids and parents of all ages and the famous Sightseer Tram Car is an awesome way to rest while still enjoying the numerous sights. At night, the carnival-like atmosphere and the cool ocean breeze are a perfect date night spot for teenagers and young adults. However, the cons of Wildwood mirror the cons of Venice. Parking can be a hassle and the crowds are very hard to control.

Overall, both beaches are great fun and are filled with things to do! As for me, I’m going to stick to my rocky San Francisco beach, but what about you? Which beach do you want to go visit this summer? Let us know in the comments!

Triveni is a junior at Drexel University majoring in Anthropology and Biological Sciences and is from San Francisco. She dreams of one day becoming a forensic anthropologist. She has a passion for writing short stories and articles and for reading all different types of books. She also is multilingual and likes keeping in touch with her roots through classical Indian dancing. On a typical day, she can be found rereading Harry Potter for the umpteenth time, scrolling through Tumblr, or watching different book vloggers on Youtube.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.