This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

There seems to be a trend among popular women’s products that claim to customize the products to meet your particular needs. Examples that come to mind are shampoo, conditioner, foundation, lipstick, workout plans/diets, and many more. Well, you can now add skincare to that list too! Enter…Curology!

Curology stands to fix all of our skincare issues that we can all say we have tried to resolve using various online remedies, big name products, and/or trending hacks. As a woman whose tried all of the remedies, and I do mean all of them, I can say I took the quiz and tried Curology and was not disappointed!

What do you get?

Curology promises you a customized “SuperBottle” of a personalized medicated topical cream that is designed to specifically target the troubled skin you have. They also offer a general, gentle cleanser and moisturizer if you choose that package.

Curology also assigns you a clinician who will help create your specific formula and stand as someone to reference throughout your treatment to help you every step of the way. The site also has a community tab that includes all different articles for patients to reference for all sorts of things related to their skincare. Things like dieting tips, moisturizers to try, exercise tips and tricks, makeup dos and don’ts, words on birth control, and more. You name it, Curology has got it covered.

The Quiz

When you decide to give this a try, you will be met with the infamous quiz that Curology created to get to know you and your skin. The first few questions are about you and your skin:

• Which are you being treated for? (acne, clogged pores, dark spots, wrinkles, etc.)
  • Where are you breaking out? (neck, face, body, etc.)
  • Why type of skin? (dry, oily, combo, etc.)
  • How many breakouts per week?
  • How often do you wear sunscreen?

Image Courtesy of HighYa 

Next, they ask a few questions regarding sex, age, past & present medical issues and concerns, any past or current medications, history of skincare treatments, history of birth control usage, any allergies, and other general health questions that help them get a well-rounded idea of where you are at in your skincare treatment. Curology uses this information to generate a profile for you and match you with a clinician.

After the quiz, you will be taken through the typical steps to set up an online account. Finally, the last step is to include three pictures of your skin so the clinician can match your description with a visual image. This part can get a little awkward; it is basically supposed to be a poorly taken selfie! It is definitely worth it though because these will stand as your “Before” pictures to help track your results!

Cost, Shipping, Delivery

I don’t know about you, but cost is always my number one concern. All the details and strategic marketing and advertising techniques are great and all but just tell me how much it costs! I am going to get straight to it for you.

There are three different plans you could subscribe to (yes, another subscription service…yaaaaay):

• 3-Step Curology Set
    • “SuperBottle”, Cleanser, & Moisturizer – 2-month supply
    • Billed $59.90 every 60 days// $29.95/month
    • FREE SHIPPING
  • 2-Month Shipment
    • “SuperBottle” – 2-month supply
    • billed $39.90 every 60 days // $19.95/month
    • FREE SHIPPING
  • 1-Month Shipment
    • “SuperBottle” – 1-month supply
    • billed $19.95 per month
    • + $4.95 for shipping

Image courtesy of Real Simple

Cancelation

Cold Feet? Not satisfied? Another dud? No worries! You can cancel your subscription at any time! The site does give you the option to postpone shipments if you are not going through the product as fast as you thought and also encourage you to reach out to them if you have any real concerns with your product.

Does it work?

Now for the ultimate question: Does it work?

At the moment, my biggest issue is cystic acne. This means I have large bumps that swell and can often be painful and uncomfortable. These breakouts also tend to leave scarring after healing. This is the most common struggle for me now, but the occasional random breakout will pop up here and there! My skin is also combination skin; not too oily, not too dry but certain products will exacerbate either condition. For me, Curology definitely worked! I had completed the free trial and I honestly saw really great results. My Curology formula worked to stop the growth of new breakouts and flatten out the those I already had. The gentle cleanser and moisturizer did not dry out my skin or increase the natural oils. Each product was super light and it absorbs into the skin quickly and softly. I would wash my face with the cleanser in the morning and use the SuperBottle and moisturizer at night. It was easy to forget I was even washing it with specialized medicine!

Overall I give Curology an 8/10. There is no guarantee that it will work for everyone but the chances of it working are extremely high, as the clinicians do design your formula to address certain issues. The price is a little high for my college student budget but it really depends how much you prioritize your skincare regiment and how much you are willing to invest in your own skin!

Gina Moffa

Drexel '20

Hi! My name is Gina and I am a Business Administration major at Drexel University! My minors in Dance and Photography help me to put a creative and artistic twist on everything I do.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.