This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Have you seen a bunch of book recommendations on BookTok and just haven’t had time to read? No worries, I’ve got you covered! I’m here to give a rundown on six different popular books featured on BookTok and I’ll be giving my opinion on whether I loved it, or whether I’d put the book back at the library (shelf it). If you’re like me and you love reading contemporary romance novels, then this list is for you! 

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

Author: Taylor Jenkins Reid

Love it or Shelf it? LOVE IT!

Grab your tissues, make yourself a snack, and get in your comfy clothes because you will be glued to this book all day! Evelyn Hugo’s story is a brilliant one. Evelyn is able to make a name for herself despite the obstacles she’s faced and she defies every stereotype in the textbook for female actresses. This book is heart-wrenching, thought-provoking, addicting, and makes honest social commentary on Hollywood today. If you’re not super into reading and love movies, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is rumored to be released as a feature film in the near future!

It Ends With Us

Author: Colleen Hoover

Love it or Shelf it? LOVE IT!

Colleen Hoover is a contemporary literary genius! Honorary mentions go to Ugly Love (my personal favorite of her novels) and Verity, two of her other romance novels that are absolutely fantastic. The BookTok gods were right about this one, it’s a tear-jerker. Lily and Ryle’s story is one that begins as a budding romance on paper but paints a different picture behind closed doors. This novel does touch on sensitive topics, so please take caution reading this book if you are triggered by domestic violence or sexual assault. 

We Were Liars

Author: E. Lockhart

Love it or Shelf It? SHELF IT!

This may be an unpopular opinion, but this book wasn’t my cup of tea. I read this book in my freshman year of high school and I had a hard time getting through it. The writing style just wasn’t for me and the characters honestly were so bland that I couldn’t form a connection to them. I found a lot of the book to be predictable and struggled to root for the characters in the end. I have a few friends that really enjoyed this book, so maybe it’s just not for me! If you want to give it a try, I wouldn’t put it at the top of your reading list. 

Red, White, & Royal Blue

Author: Casey McQuiston

Love it or Shelf It? LOVE IT!

Okay so you’ve probably seen everyone rave about this book on TikTok over the summer, or you’ve heard from some of your friends that it was cheesy. Just hear me out! This book is the epitome of a classic romance. The characters are relatable, raw, and ever-so-charming. Some of the languages is definitely a little corny but it’s just so cute and pure and you’re going to love this book, I promise! McQuiston paints a picture much hope to see, where the barriers of the conservative English monarchy are tested with an unfamiliar romance. According to Variety, Red, White, & Royal Blue is also getting a film adaptation, directed by Matthew López.

They Both Die At The End

Author: Adam Silvera

Love it or Shelf It? SHELF IT!

This book is an acquired taste and unfortunately, I just don’t have the taste buds for it. I really like the concept behind this novel, but Silvera’s execution just wasn’t my favorite. Mateo and Rufus are the main characters of the novel and while I do value the perspectives of side characters, I found the side character point of view to be distracting and it really took away from the value of Mateo and Rufus’ relationship. The book was really dragged out in the middle and hard to get through. Silvera’s concept has so much potential, truly. I understand how enjoyable it is for some, it just didn’t have a profound impact as I expected.

The Song of Achilles

Author: Madeline Miller

Love it or Shelf It? LOVE IT!

Calling all fans of Greek mythology: I’ve got a recommendation! Okay so my sister is my complete opposite and despises reading … but she could not put this book down and neither could I! If you love a good romance story or you find yourself rooting for the underdog, then this book is for you. Madeline Miller unearths the hidden story of Achilles and transports you straight to Greece in this beautiful novel. If you like this book and want other greek mythology recommendations, be sure to check out Miller’s other novel, Circe, which is the retelling of a Greek goddess from a feminist lens. 

Overall, I’d recommend getting your hands on a copy of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, It Ends With Us, Red, White, & Royal Blue, and Achilles ASAP! These books are just beautifully written and have characters you’re sure to connect with. I’m not a fan of We Were Liars nor They Both Die at The End, but someone else might love them, they’re just not my taste personally. If you read any of these and want to talk about them, feel free to reach out :). 

Makayla (she/her) is a sophomore political science student at Drexel University. Her comfort movies are 10 Things I Hate About You, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and The Notebook. She is a Harry Styles enthusiast and loves to read :).