Best Halloween Costumes for Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

With Halloween coming up, the biggest challenge is finding a costume that expresses who you are while still managing to make a statement wherever you go on October 31. Luckily, pop culture is there for you to draw inspiration for your festive ensemble. We’ve rounded up pop culture icons that will make the perfect costume for your major. And, hey, they may even give you a peek into your future career. Take a look into our crystal ball and see what your Halloween costume (and future) could look like!

Business: Wolf of Wall Street

Leonardo DiCaprio brought the role of Jordan Belfort to life in the 2015 hit film, but you can bring him over to the feminine side and make the jungle of Wall Street all about you. Take the chance to strut your stuff all over Philadelphia’s bar scene (if you’re of age, of course) before you hit New York’s financial district permanently.

English: Anna Wintour

Miranda Priestly said it right in The Devil Wears Prada, which is believed to be based on the life of Anna Wintour (in case you didn’t know), “Everybody wants to be us.” So, why not hit the streets as the real deal this Halloween? You’ll be first in line for all the parties just like she’s front and center at every fashion show.

Fashion: Betsey Johnson

Fashion allows you to express yourself and no one does that better than Betsey. With her bright hair, funky clothing and even more creative accessories, there is no better way to stand out this Halloween than by dressing like this fashion icon. Just make sure you only do her signature backflips if you’re sure to land them.

Photography: Bill Cunningham

The legend may be gone, but never forgotten. Bring back his memory and build your portfolio with this outfit on the scariest night of the year.

Political Science: Hillary Clinton

Following the DNC in Philadelphia and her presidential campaign as a whole, it only seems right to dress up as the woman who could potentially go down in American history in just a few weeks. Whether you like her or not, you have to admit she would be a great costume. If being Hillary bothers you, you could make yourself believe you’re Amy Poehler or Kate McKinnon as Hillary. There are so many ways to work it!

Pre-Law Track: Olivia Pope

You are training to be a superhero in a suit, so why not start out as a Gladiator? Embody the spirit of ABC’s chief problem solver and make all other troubles go away.

Pre-Med Track: Cristina Yang

The show may be named after Meredith, but Cristina wins our hearts with wit and sarcasm that makes us want to be just like her. Take on the sass and overall awesomeness of the best cardiothoracic surgeon there is!

Nursing: Carla Espinosa

Scrubs would not have been the same without Carla’s wisdom. Show your friends that you are not to be messed with and remind everyone that you are Dominican, not Puerto Rican. Your costume will be loved almost as much as Turk loves JD.

Writing: Chimamanda Adichie

For Beyonce to sample your work on her song means you have to be fantastic at what you do and really stand out from the crowd. What better way to break the writers-never-dress-up stereotype than to be the writer who thinks she should always look good? Plus, Chimamanda actually attended Drexel for a while!

No matter what your major is, there is so much inspiration in pop culture that you’re sure to find the perfect costume by dressing up as someone in your field. This exploration might even make you realize your future career. If not, you’ll look good anyway!

Image 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Naa Dedei is a Psychology major with minors in Communication and Writing at Drexel University. Two things she is extremely passionate about are writing and her country, Ghana. Her goal is to study International law and work with the UN or start her own nonprofit to deal with Human Rights issues. Other than posting on her blog, she can be found whipping up a meal in her kitchen or lounging in her couch, either glued to a book, or binge-watching a show on Netflix.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.