Beauty School Ceros Hub Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Beauty School Ceros Hub Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

For The Beautiful Girl Struggling to Love Herself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Think about the most beautiful person you know. Now think about WHY you see that person as beautiful. Is it because of their perfectly sized lips? Their thick, voluminous hair? Their perfectly aligned white teeth? The fact that their features perfectly conform to western beauty norms?

If you thought of any of these reasons, you are not the only one. I for one, have also in numerous cases, been unhappy with my looks. Pictures have been painful and each new image only brought bad news. For those of you who can relate, I have good news for you: you are not crazy. We all care about our looks for a sound reason- because everyone judges us by them. 

Rihanna on Vogue magazine
Photo by Charissie Kenion from Unsplash

So what is beauty? Why are some of us allowed to claim it while others not so much? The media glorifies the ‘perfect’ body; most of which is unattainable. We list celebrities like Ryan Gosling and Beyonce among the most beautiful people, allowing Hollywood stars and social media models to continue to set the standards for what the rest of us need to look like. While there is no doubt that these people are aesthetically pleasing to the eyes of the larger majority, the truth is that when we look at them, what we see is not all real. Yes, they are real people, but no, they are not an accurate representation of what we all need to be. 

Unfortunately for most of us, personal appearances have become one of the least democratic parts of life. But here’s a few things we can remind ourselves in an attempt to redefine beauty based on who we are, rather than how we look.​​

Focus on your inner mood: 

Do more of what makes you comfortable and happy. Something as simple as a bubble bath, a face mask, or even wearing clothes that flatter you the most. It is important to note, that while clothing and makeup may enhance your appearance, neither is a replacement for genuine joy. Focus on FEELING beautiful and confident!

Don’t believe everything you see or hear:

We’ve heard some models and actors say looks don’t matter. But it’s only after they have cashed out on their own. The truth is, the definition of ‘beauty’ is going to evolve with each passing generation. Unfortunately, every time it will probably reach a new impossible standard that is only able to be met by few who are lucky enough to be hit with the genetic lottery for that year.

Listen to your body’s whisper:

Our bodies do a lot more for us than we think. Listen to it whisper as it tells you what you need. Don’t punish yourself or deprive yourself of anything. Moderation is the key-right?

Say good things to yourself and others (and mean it):

Look for something good to say and you’ll always find it. Say it out loud and with conviction! It’s a matter of time until you start believing it. Radiate the energy you want to receive. When we as a society make beauty as something only a few can claim, we are at the same time convincing ourselves that we are going to allow ourselves as a society to let something as superficial as image, hold a great amount of power over us. 

YOU are BEAUTIFUL. The world will try to tell you otherwise, but the way you look only makes up a very small part of that, as it does for the rest 3 billion beautiful women out there.

So how do you define beauty? Do you see yourself as the beautiful human you are?

Hi! I am a Biological Sciences major with a minor in Health Services Administration. In my free time, you will probably catch me sipping on bubble tea or exploring a new restaurant in the city.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.