Alanna DiGioia, VP of Membership Education of Alpha Sigma Alpha

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Meet Alanna DiGioia, a junior political science major, who is the vice president of Membership Education for Alpha Sigma Alpha. She earned the position after realizing how much she loved helping others and being someone to look up to for new members in her sorority.

Originally from Norfolk, Virginia, the sorority life down South really influenced Alanna’s decision to rush. When visiting Alpha Sigma Alpha, she felt it was one of the few places she felt comfortable enough to actually eat during recruitment and she also made great connections with the sisters. In the end, Alanna chose Alpha Sigma Alpha because she never had to put on a façade and could fully be herself.

Recently, Alanna became the VP of Membership Education and has taken on a big role within the sorority. “I run the new member period and guide the new members through their time in the new member period. I also plan our retreats,” she said in explanation of her duties. Alpha Sigma Alpha strives to develop women of poise and purpose and the VP of Membership Education contributes significantly to that goal.

When asked what the best thing about leading membership education was, Alanna said, “I love to meet the new members and really enjoyed being a Ruby sister (an older sister who is a mentor to a new member until they receive their big) in the past, so I wanted to play a bigger part in the new member module.” The hardest thing about her position is that she has to deal with massive amounts of paperwork, she said.

During her time at Drexel, Alanna has gotten more involved with the chapter by taking on a vice president role and has felt like she will be able to make a difference in Alpha Sigma Alpha’s Nu Nu chapter as well as in the lives of the new members. The position that Alanna holds is known for being very maternal, but able to discipline at the same time. The VP of Membership Education must be able to guide new members in the right direction while still encouraging them to be their best selves and embrace all that being in a sorority has to offer. She will be one of the very first people that the new members interact and spend time with. They often look up to her and all the work that she puts in to making their new member period as valuable as possible. Her generous and kind spirit makes her a perfect fit for leading new members who may feel scared and filled with emotions about joining a sorority.

After graduation, Alanna hopes to go into public health, working closely within a community and lending a helping hand to people, whether it be through a nonprofit or government organization. In the meantime, you can find her at the Alpha Sigma Alpha house cooking, watching HGTV, and browsing on Pinterest.

Rachel is a senior at Drexel University majoring in Design & Merchandising. She dreams of traveling the world and loves to learn about new cultures and languages. She also aspires to be the editor-in-chief of her own fashion magazine one day. You can find her binge watching Vanderpump Rules, eating way too much mac & cheese, dancing to her favorite songs and exploring when she goes city-hopping!
Her Campus Drexel contributor.