mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Things Pride Month Blessed Us With in 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Like every year, Pride came and went, but 2019’s pride celebration left quite the impression on the LGBTQIA+ community and allies alike. Below we’ve compiled a list of just a few of our favorite pride-related news from this year, focusing on what we have dubbed to be now-iconic coming out stories and videos that truly express the creativity of the queer community.

1. Lil Nas X’s casual coming out tweet

Image Courtesy of Bustle

The world was shook when “Old Town Road” singer Lil Nas X tweeted that everyone should listen closely to c7osure. “deadass thought I made it obvious” — Touché, Lil Nas X. This one was really on us.

2. Eugene from the Try Guys’ I’m Gay

Image Courtesy of YouTube

Eugene Lee Yang, known best for being part of the Try Guys gang on YouTube, released what can only be described as pure art in a poetic, dance-filled telling of his life as a gay man. Featuring other queer influencers and packed with visual symbolism, this video not only speaks to the LGBTQIA+ community but also benefits it, having raised over $110,000 for The Trevor Project in just three weeks.

3. Todrick Hall’s queer lawn party.

Image Courtesy of YouTube

In June, Todrick Hall co-produced You Need to Calm Down, a music video set at a lawn party that was attended by almost all of the LGBTQIA+ celebrities in Todrick’s vast queer network. The fun-spirited, carefree video features the likes of the Queer Eye cast, Laverne Cox, Hayley Kiyoko, and a slew of Drag Race alums. Oh, and Taylor Swift made a cameo for some reason. Not sure why she was there—maybe because she looks so much like Jade Jolie?

4. Dan Howell finally came out.

Image Courtesy of YouTube

After years of subtle hints, but never any confirmation, our middle school hearts were all warmed when YouTuber Daniel Howell (better known by his old channel name, danisnotonfire) released a coming out video on June 13th aptly titled, Basically I’m Gay. In it, he details his journey from childhood to now and what it was like for him to grow up queer. It’s 45 minutes of deeply personal storytelling that still manages to maintain the lighthearted tone Dan has mastered in his other videos.

5. Dan’s best friend, Phil Lester, came out too!

Image Courtesy of YouTube

On the last day of pride month, Phil Lester, creator of YouTube channel AmazingPhil and Dan Howell’s partner-in-crime, released his own personal coming out story; which, much like Dan’s video, was direct and to the point in being titled Coming Out To You.

6. The premiere of I LIKE BOYS and Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels.

Image Courtesy of YouTube

Yes, Todrick Hall may have already been mentioned in this list, but he has really delivered for us in the past month and we feel it deserves recognition. Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels may have come out (pun intended) right before June, but Todrick performed it live during Pride, so it totally counts. As if that wasn’t enough, Todrick dropped the music video for I LIKE BOYS three days before pride month ended, giving gay men everywhere the perfect video to send to the relatives they haven’t come out to yet.

7. All of the corporate pandering was actually for us this time.

Image Courtesy of H&M 

Though we’re not naive enough to think most of the companies that came out in support of the community this year see pride as more than a marketing opportunity, it sure feels nice that corporations have decided we’re valuable enough to cater to our needs. We now have enough rainbow products at our disposal for each day of the year. Not to mention that a lot of companies are donating their profits back to the LGBTQIA+ community, so be sure to do your research before purchasing anything to know where your money is going. I’d like to propose an opportunity for next year—products that expand on the representation. The rainbow flag is iconic, but it would be amazing for everyone under the rainbow to be able to express their identities with the bisexual, lesbian, trans flag and more depicted on pride products.

One important thing to remember from all of this is that pride does not start and stop in June—we can and should be able to feel proud of our identities 365 days of the year. Let’s hope that June was just the beginning, and that we’ll be seeing a lot more news like this in 2019 and beyond.

Her Campus Drexel contributor.