5 Ways to Celebrate GALentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

First introduced in a 2010 episode of Parks & Recreation, GALentine’s Day is the day before Valentine’s Day where you and your gal pals celebrate each other’s friendship. GALantine’s Day promotes the type of girl power the world needs! Single or not, every group of friends should be celebrating this holiday. It is the perfect way to remind each other how much you value your friendship. There are so many things you can do with your gals, but here are a few suggestions/tips. 

1. Treat YourselfSince this day isn’t all about the material things, consider treating your gals to handmade gifts like Leslie and her friends did. Try not to ask each other what you would like as a gift. Think deep and create the best possible gift. Or, as another option, have an at-home spa day. Treat yourselves to facials, massages, manicures, and pedicures — the whole nine yards! Pamper yourself and each other.

2. Have a Movie NightWe all know what movie hits theaters February 13. Grab your gals and go catch Fifty Shades of Grey on the big screen. If this isn’t really your taste, host an impromptu movie night at home. Pull out your old DVDs or browse Netflix for your favorite chick-flicks. Add snacks and laughter to the equation and you’ll be all set. 

3. Dress Up & Show OutWho doesn’t love getting dressed up and going out? When you look good, you definitely feel good. Throw on your best outfits and go out. It doesn’t matter where. You can go to lunch, dinner or a club. Which ever you choose, you and your friends are bound to have a great time.

4. MakeoversHave your friends bring over a few of their favorite outfits. Take turns “walking in each other’s shoes” and dress one another up. Pull out your makeup trunks and try out each other’s beauty/makeup secrets too. When you’re all done, throw on some music and dance like there’s no tomorrow! Create a music video (in the tone of Beyoncé’s 7/11) that will become a keepsake and constant reminder of GALentine’s Day 2015.

5. Eat, Eat, and Eat!When is food not on your mind? Let’s face it; everyone loves to eat. Have a potluck style dinner equipped with a full five-course meal. You and your girls can each choose a course and whip up your favorite dish. You can each even try new meals or the dinner can be cultural-themed. The possibilities are pretty much endless. Food and friends are always a great mix that ensure for memorable night.

Keep in mind what the day is all about. The material things don’t matter and you don’t have to go out; it’s the thought that counts. As long as you’re together, you have already taken the first step to making this day amazing. Unlike Valentine’s Day, you’re not under pressure to impress anyone and nothing has to be perfect. So with all that out of the way and with an array of ideas and suggestions under your belt, you now have no excuses. This February 13th, grab your girls and celebrate.

Design & Merchandising major
Her Campus Drexel contributor.