5 Things I Love About My Unpaid Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.
When I got to college almost two years ago, there were a few firm “nevers” on my list; I wasn’t into the idea of joining a sorority, settling down with a longterm boyfriend before having achieved my dream career, and I never would have entertained the idea of working without pay. I really prided myself on my commitment to an education, a career without distractions, and my sense of what I was worth. 

As I now approach my pre-junior year, I type this in the spirit of toungue-in-cheek irony and and a bit of amusement at how life has worked out. Just last week I was elected fundraising chair of my sorority, and I’ve been with my incredible boyfriend for over a year now. To top it all off, I’m working a cool internship, sans pay, and I actually enjoy it. Here’s why:

1. I’m working in the creative field I enjoy and doing work I like. 
During my first (albeit well-paid) co-op, this was a sacrifice I had to make. So, it’s a breath of fresh air that for this internship each day brings something new for me. I’m doing anything from drafting press releases for the company to managing my CEO’s social media and assisting my boss with determining how to style magazine placements promoting the company’s work.

2. My employer accommodates my class schedule, not the other way around. 
When I initially received the internship offer, I was worried that my availability for two days a week between the hours of 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. might have been too restrictive in the eyes of my potential employers. Not so! It turns out that my boss is very accommodating of my schedule, even when having an unfortunateling timed meeting with my academic advisor means that I need to take off a little bit early. As long as I communicate and get my work done, it’s okay.

3. It offers a lot of flexibility in my work schedule. 
Going off of point #2, if I happen to finish my work for the day, say, a half hour before the time I’m scheduled to leave, my boss has no qualms about letting me go for the day. Since I’m not on payroll with conventional working hours and a salary, I receive a lot of flexibility. This is nice because I work diligently, and I usually end up with a bit more free time in my day than I’d expect. 

4. I work close to home and in a beautiful area.
Remember that first co-op I mentioned in point #1? It came with a not-so-pleasant hour and a half commute. In my current position I commute all the way to Old City – a meager 10-ish minutes away from campus. I then get to walk through historic Independence Hall, past several picturesque parks shaded by trees and full of beautiful historic statues on my way to the office.

5. The coffee.
This isn’t entirely a make-it-or-break-it category related to my work, but it’s definitely a plus. I swear my work brews Starbucks coffee better than the coffee chain does itself. Anyone who knows me will attest to the fact that I’m a bit of a coffee snob aficionado, and that very few things upset me as much as a poorly brewed cup of joe.  

Of course I would love to get a paycheck for the work I’m doing, I’m not denying that. But I spent the better part of six months on a co-op where I made bank but just wasn’t in love with what I did for work. I learned the hard way that it really doesn’t matter what you’re getting paid to do if you don’t like it, and if you don’t like what you’re doing you really shouldn’t waste your time (or your employer’s). That was a big learning curve that really drove me to seek out a creative internship I could be passionate about. My work here is fun, and I honestly have no regrets taking an unpaid internship in exchange for professional experience I actually enjoy. Sorry, Blair Waldorf, but money really can’t buy happiness. 

Jenna Adrian is a student at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. She studies Design & Merchandising. She's currently paving the way to create a career that will unite her passion for both style and government policy reform. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, running, and learning the in's and out's of city culture. You can find her at a coffee shop, a networking event, or brainstorming for her latest article. Check out her thoughts on coffee, fashion, and life in the city on her personal blog, & some like it haute. 
Her Campus Drexel contributor.