5 Halloween Costume Predictions 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

If there’s anything that the almighty Mean Girls has taught us it’s how to make any animal into a sexy Halloween costume. It is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total sl*t and no other girls can say anything about it after all. Short skirts aside, one of the best things about fall is planning your Halloween costume. Since it’s never too early to start, we’ve predicted the most popular costumes for women of 2016. Keep reading to find out if your costume idea made the list.           

1. Harley Quinn

Even though Suicide Squad was a less than impressive movie, Harley Quinn’s costumes were on point. We predict that her signature fishnet and baseball tee outfit will be one of the most popular costumes this season (this may or may not be my own costume idea).

2. Olympian

In case you weren’t aware, this year was the summer Olympics … though I’m not sure how you could miss them especially considering the scandal over poor media coverage of the female Olympians and not to mention the whole Ryan Lochte situation.

3. Pokémon Go Trainer

The itch to catch ‘em all has definitely died down a little, but that’s not to say that Pokémon Go wasn’t one of the most memorable moments of 2016 pop culture to date. We are definitely expecting to see quite a few Pokémon trainers out and about this Halloween. I was always a huge fan of Misty and Togepi.

4. The Ghostbusters

Speaking of mediocre movies, the all girl cast of Ghostbusters definitely had us all feeling nostalgic this year. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see some coordinated platonic friend group costumes featuring the fearless ladies who fight fictional ghosts.

5. Black Cat

Image via Raindrops of Sapphire

Is it really Halloween without seeing a few girls rocking the black cat costume? It’s simple, sexy and stylish so we can’t blame them for being basic. This timeless costume is definitely played out but forever a last minute option for girls everywhere.

Hopefully there will be some more original costumes on display this year, but we can almost guarantee that you’ll see every one from this list. Did we miss any costumes that you think will be big this Halloween? Let us know in the comments. No matter what you wear remember to be safe!

Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.