12 Struggles Everyone on a Dining Plan Understands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Fall quarter is in full swing and by this point anyone on a dining plan has started to get frustrated with it. You think you’ve found your favorite meal at the Urban Eatery, but quickly realize that even that gets old. You want to eat burritos every day, but have to control yourself because dining dollars are limited. When you’re too lazy to go out, Easy Mac becomes a staple food. And let’s face it, there’s nothing like a home-cooked meal. There are certain struggles that every Drexel student on a dining plan understands.  

1. You realize that it’s possible to get sick of your favorite food.  

It is indeed possible to have too much of a good thing.

2. The excruciatingly long wait time at the Urban Eatery.

They’re still getting into the swing of things, but our hunger remains unchanged.

3. The three-week adjustment period that your stomach needs to build a tolerance to the Hans.  

Don’t deny it, we’ve all had a rumbly tummy after that place.

4. Wishing that you could eat Vegetate for every meal, but you have limited dining dollars.

Sometimes, the Vegetacos are worth it.

5. Never knowing what qualifies as a meal swipe at the Urban Eatery.  

A whole meal swipe for one smoothie!? Apparently strawberries and bananas qualify as a square meal.

6. When the Sola Deli in Urban runs out of everything around 4 p.m., and you have to get something other than your favorite sub.

No more turkey? At a deli?

7. Shake Shack doesn’t take dining dollars but you’re forced to walk past it on the way to the Hans.

Let’s be real, “Dragon Dollars” is just a fluffy name for our hard-earned cash.

8. There should be more mac and cheese. There should always be more mac and cheese.

I’m talking real, decadent, Panera-level mac and cheese—not Easy Mac.

9. Wanting something other than dining hall food, but your only options are spending money or making something in your microwave.

Ramen doesn’t sound too bad right now…

10. When you finally eat something other than dining hall food, you’re devastated when it’s gone.

Sometimes you wish a slice of pizza would last forever, and that’s okay.

11. Your two favorite words become “free food.”

We’ll take whatever variety we can get!

12. Your most frequently asked question becomes, “Do they take dining dollars?”

Hey, gotta make the most of your dining plan.

Although living on a dining plan is a struggle, there are a few positives to consider. Having to deal with the same food all the time makes a great slice of pizza more sacred and when you go home to your family, home-cooked meals are that much more amazing. A dining plan makes us more appreciative of truly delicious food when it’s finally bestowed upon us! 

Madison is enjoying her amazing first year at Drexel University. She is majoring in Journalism and hopes to pursue a career in magazine writing one day. For now, she can be found window shopping in Center City, doing homework, or chilling out with a coffee and Netflix.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.