11 More Reasons We’re Pumped UPenn Is Gone For the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Ahh, there’s a certain silence around University City meaning one thing: our neighbors have all left for summer break. Now that University of Pennsylvania has ended their spring semester, we Dragons can regain control over our neck of the woods and flaunt that we’re the best college around. As a follow-up to last year’s 11 Reasons We’re Pumped UPenn Is Gone For the Summer, here are 11 more reasons to appreciate the abandonment of the campus next door.   

1. You’re able to grab a spontaneous brunch on the weekends! Mimosas provided, of course.

2. University City Dining Days are almost exactly like Restaurant Week… except they’re extremely affordable and require no reservations.

3. You don’t care as much if you’re seen in public repping Drexel gear. This only applies to University City neighborhood, you should still refrain from crossing the river.

4. It’s much easier to get a drink at Blarney’s, especially on 50¢ drink night. If you don’t know what we’re talking about, you need to leave Cav’s more often.

5. Penn going home means Drexel’s baby Dragons (aka freshmen) are on their way out in less than a month. See ya next year, leave the lanyards at home!  

6. Your late night GrubHub order only takes 30 minutes to arrive instead of the typical hour. Less drunk kids to feed = less time it takes to feed you.

7. Our local shopping venues are very vacant, especially during the day. Hellloooo available changing rooms and summer clearance sales.

8. There is just such a significantly smaller population on the sidewalk. You can walk three blocks without having to move out of someone’s way.

9. No one’s around to get confused or make fun of you for going to school over the summer. It’s a little less painful if we just make fun of each other for volunteering for this type of schedule.  

10. You automatically know what school the patrons of Cav’s attend, eliminating the awkward guessing game between you and your friends to determine his worth.

11. And possibly the best of all, you can confidently brag about being the smartest and largest student body currently in Philadelphia (Literally we could have a population of 1,000 and still hold this title).

Now that we’ve taken a stab at summing up all of intense emotions we experience after Penn goes home, feel free to let us know if we missed any. We’re planning on running this article series as long as possible and can use your help to keep it funny and relevant. We all have “special” feelings towards Penn, and we’d love to give you an audience to share them with.

Lindsey is a senior at Drexel University, majoring in operations management & bus. analytics. She has been with Her Campus Drexel for four years and was CC for the middle two. Along with living the city life, she takes an active interest in street style, putting together puzzles and binge-watching her current Netflix obsession. She actually calls Montana her true home so now you can say you know that someone actually lives there ;). When she's in Philly, you can find her in Center City scouring the racks of thrift stores, Old Navy, and H&M if she's not on campus enjoying the multiple food trucks or catching up on the readings she put off until the last day.